Re: SPAM from Lead Form

Anonymous
Not applicable

SPAM from Lead Form

I receive a lot of spam in my database and I believe it's from a lead form. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Is there a way to include a captcha in a lead form?
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

We see this frequently. If you have a web developer you can do some validation on the form.

You can can also look at the list and often see the pattern that the bots are using, you can then put together a simple campaign to blacklist, move to partition, or put on a list for deletion.
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Google's ReCaptcha can be easily added: http://www.google.com/recaptcha 

I would first verify that these leads come from Marketo web forms though. Go to the activity log for one of those leads and see how the lead was created. If you double click the 'fills out form' you see details on which form they filled out. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out this article on LinkedIn about the way around filtering spam and bot activity on your web forms, I found it quite helpful:

Stop 99% of Your Spam Leads with Marketo | Fab Capodicasa | LinkedIn

Hope this helps!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

To me, that fake ReCAPTCHA 2 looks far worse than a real ReCAPTCHA 2.   Two mutually exclusive checkboxes?  I don't care if the question is purposely absurd, the UI needs to make sense.

Plus it's effortlessly fakeable if someone targets your particular form (a little human special sauce + a bot = just as much spam as before).  So it doesn't actually work.

Real ReCAPTCHA 2 on a Marketo form: MktoForms2 :: reCAPTCHA. Paired with a Marketo flow and webhook, you can't fool it.