Source - Acquisition Program Vs. UTM Source

Steve_Schimmel
Level 3

Source - Acquisition Program Vs. UTM Source

I am curious to know how other people are attributing sources in scenarios like the below example.

New lead attends webinar and the acqusition program is webinar 123.

That person, however, found the webinar from some other source. Either through a forwarded email, on our website, in an advertisement, etc. 

In this scenario, would you source the lead as "Webinar" or would you source is as "Digital Ad" (in the example where they found the webinar via an ad)?

I am curious to know how other people approach this question. Thanks in advance for any insights!

2 REPLIES 2
Kaitlyn_Simko
Level 4

Re: Source - Acquisition Program Vs. UTM Source

For our webinars we use the channel as the Lead Source and the webinar + webinar location as the Lead Entry Source for more granulated tracking.  Eg. Someone registers for a US webinar through a paid linked in post, the UTM parameter would attribute Lead Source = Paid LinkedIn and Lead Entry Source = US Webinar.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Source - Acquisition Program Vs. UTM Source

I would also go for the channel as your lead source (and indeed potentially introduce a secondary field as @Kaitlyn_Simko describes as the Lead Entry Source). Your acquisition program captures that it was a webinar and the Person Source I would reserve for the actual channel they found you through.