SMS via Marketo: Oxygen 8 vs Twilio vs BurstSMS

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

SMS via Marketo: Oxygen 8 vs Twilio vs BurstSMS

Hi team

What should my  considerations be when choosing between Oxygen 8, Twilio and BurstSMS for SMS communications via Marketo? Handling unsubscribes easily is important. We have a Zapier paid account it that helps the situation.

Thanks, Phil

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: SMS via Marketo: Oxygen 8 vs Twilio vs BurstSMS

What are your requirements and use cases for SMS?

• Requirements:
    • adhere to local laws
      • means you need special SMS opt in/out fields
      • special SMS triggers
      • privacy notice changes
    • Record Mobile Phone # properly
    • Countries where you plan to operate
    • Type of Phone # you will use (5 digit or full?)
      • is it tied to a company mobile or something else?
  • Use Cases
    • send SMS before live event
    • etc.

Twilio and Informatica were very similar, but had some key International use differences and billing considerations.

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi Josh

We are a travel company, so initial use cases might be upsells once they have booked a tour with us but before travel, or to subscribe for deals based on a particular location.

We would definitely want the ability to auto-subscribe and unsubscribe, would be operating in 6 major countries (US, CA, GB, AU, NZ, DE), at least to start. We would use this for B2C, so personal phone numbers.

Thanks!

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

So map this out further, along with potential volume, and budget, and then discuss the details with each vendor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Phillip,

My company uses oxygen 8 (Engage Australia), and I can confirm that they can handle unsubscribes in multiple ways, i.e. respond stop which you can trigger an unsubscribe. I haven't worked with others although they have been great to work with and set up. If you would like some guidance happy to lend a hand.

Tyron_Pretorius
Level 8 - Champion

@Phillip_Wild although this post was a long time ago I want to add another vendor (that I do work for, full disclosure) to the mix here.

Telnyx is an up-and-coming player in the CPaas space (according to G2) with international capability, automatic opt-out to "STOP" keywords, and a Zapier app.

I give an introduction to Telnyx in this post on my personal blog: https://theworkflowpro.com/marketo-sms-marketing/ 

I also show how to build an SMS responder Zap in Zapier to respond to inbound SMS and to unsubscribe people from SMS in Marketo: https://theworkflowpro.com/2-way-sms-marketo/ 

Tyron Pretorius