SOLVED

Smart List - Filtering Order

Go to solution
Colin_Ryder
Level 6 - Champion Alumni

Smart List - Filtering Order

Hi people

I came across a weird issue today with a smart list not excluding people using the "not contains" filter (I was specifically excluding a group of email addresses).

A colleague of mine told me to order the Filters in the Smart List to group all the AND statements together in one group with the OR statements at the end where possible

Example - we had the following initially
1 and 2 and (3 or 4 or 5 or 6) and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10

It still contained a particular lead even though I had specifically excluded his email address (and also tried the "not contains" as well).

So we re-arranged the items (the OR's 3-7) in the smart list to the bottom (Now placed at 7-10) and then set the filters it to be like this:

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and (7 or 8 or 9 or 10)

It worked - the lead was not in the Smart List anymore.

I've never had to do this before and always got the numbers I was looking for as long as I was using parenthesis in the right places.

Could it just be a case of a lot of criteria or is this a good recommendation to follow (and advise fellow users in my organisation)?

Thanks
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Smart List - Filtering Order

generally you do want to order the filters from super set to subset and how you did so. I haven't really come across issues with what you saw, but it could happen. Marketo executes from top down.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Smart List - Filtering Order

generally you do want to order the filters from super set to subset and how you did so. I haven't really come across issues with what you saw, but it could happen. Marketo executes from top down.