SOLVED

Re: SFDC Custom Object Tokens in Smart Campaign Flow Steps?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

SFDC Custom Object Tokens in Smart Campaign Flow Steps?

Hey Everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research around syncing SFDC Custom Objects to Marketo and have seen quite a few recent discussion around this topic. I am currently in the process of syncing a new SFDC Custom Object in Marketo and have a question that I haven't seen talked about yet. Maybe I missed it.

What I am trying to do is trigger a smart campaign in Marketo off of the creation of a SFDC custom object, read fields that are in the object, and write the data to the description of an interesting moment using tokens. Is this possible in Marketo? I've been able to get to the point where the trigger is activated  by the custom object but can't figure out how to reference the data in the custom object fields in a way where I can leverage it in a smart campaign flow step.

What I've done so far is:

• Set up the custom object in SFDC and enables the sync to Marketo
  • Made sure the fields I wanted to use are visible for both constraints and triggers
  • Created the following Smart Campaign:
    • Trigger: "Added to [Custom Object A]", Constraint: Subject contains "Price Inquiry"
    • Flow Step: Create Interesting Moment, Type: Web, Description: [this is where I want to use tokens to insert data from the custom object fields]

Note: I do not currently plan on using the data in emails so I don't think I'll need velocity scripting for this.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Jason,

The best way to do it is to create a long text field in SFDC on lead / contact and use some SFDC logic (trigger or workflow) to populate that field from the custom object values. That field will sync to Marketo and you will be able to use in the Interesting moment description.

-Greg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yeah, can't be done this way.

I've built a crazy workflow using Velocity to relay object info to the Marketo API.  I wouldn't advise it.  Think about doing this from the SFDC side.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford, thanks for the reply on this. That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping that there was something that I was missing that could have made this possible. I'll have to go back and figure out a different approach to get the results I am looking for, then. Thanks!

Jason

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Jason,

The best way to do it is to create a long text field in SFDC on lead / contact and use some SFDC logic (trigger or workflow) to populate that field from the custom object values. That field will sync to Marketo and you will be able to use in the Interesting moment description.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the input. This is exactly what I was thinking of trying as a next step. Thanks for confirming that this could work. I'll work with my IT team to make this happen and post the results of our tests.

Thanks!

Jason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Greg,

This is just to follow up on the approach we ended up using. Your recommended approached worked perfectly. We are having SFDC input the data we need into a hidden custom field in the Lead / Contact record and leveraging Marketo go grab the info using a Lead token for the interesting moment. After the interesting moment is created, we use a Marketo flow step to NULL out the hidden field for future use.

Thanks for the help!

Jason

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

You are welcome

-Greg