SOLVED

Re: Setting up progressive profiling questions based on previous answers (branching)

Go to solution
mmergan
Level 1

Setting up progressive profiling questions based on previous answers (branching)

Hello, 

I researched around and wasn't able to find an answer to this question. I want to set up a few progressive profiling questions and apply a branching logic to display questions based on their answer to the first question. The visibility rules only display the follow up questions in the same form. I want to be able to display the follow up question based on their previous answer the next time they fill out a form. 

Meaning it would be:

Question 1  has answer A, B, and C

• If a person chooses C the next time they fill out a form they will get Question 4.
  • If a person chooses they will get Question 3  the next time they will fill out a form
  • And if they choose A, they will get random set up questions that are placed in the progressive profiling box. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd really appreciate all comments. Thank you in advance 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Setting up progressive profiling questions based on previous answers (branching)

While simple enough to build using the Forms 2.0 (JavaScript) API — if you’re fluent in that area — this isn’t something that can be built using only built-in features.

You’re right that VRs react only to values on the same form. They can react to hidden fields, though. So one way to approach the project while still partially using built-in features: have multiple forms, differentiated by how many forms the person has filled in already. (That Form Index field would itself be a custom field, injected into the page using a {{lead.token}} to determine which form to use.) Then additional hidden fields would be set via custom Pre-Fill code (see many of my past posts for the widely used solution) and then VRs react to those fields to determine what to show next.

However, I wouldn’t build it that way myself!  Rather, I’d use a single form + my Pre-Fill JS + the FormsPlus::Tag helper. So the logic to show/hide/shuffle fields would be powered by custom JS, not by the branded Visibility Rules™ or Progressive Profiling™ features.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

While simple enough to build using the Forms 2.0 (JavaScript) API — if you’re fluent in that area — this isn’t something that can be built using only built-in features.

You’re right that VRs react only to values on the same form. They can react to hidden fields, though. So one way to approach the project while still partially using built-in features: have multiple forms, differentiated by how many forms the person has filled in already. (That Form Index field would itself be a custom field, injected into the page using a {{lead.token}} to determine which form to use.) Then additional hidden fields would be set via custom Pre-Fill code (see many of my past posts for the widely used solution) and then VRs react to those fields to determine what to show next.

However, I wouldn’t build it that way myself!  Rather, I’d use a single form + my Pre-Fill JS + the FormsPlus::Tag helper. So the logic to show/hide/shuffle fields would be powered by custom JS, not by the branded Visibility Rules™ or Progressive Profiling™ features.