SOLVED

Setting up automated follow-up emails in Marketo for new database entries

Go to solution
KristienL
Level 1

Setting up automated follow-up emails in Marketo for new database entries

I want to know if it's possible to send an email to individuals who are new additions to our Marketo database exactly 1 week after being added. Additionally, I'd like guidance on how to configure this setup:

Here's the scenario: We have a group of people who come into our database by downloading a whitepaper through a Marketo form after clicking on a LinkedIn advertisement. It's important to note that we use the same form for existing contacts, who also receive the whitepaper offer through email. How can I effectively manage this situation and ensure that only new contacts receive this particular follow-up email?

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Setting up automated follow-up emails in Marketo for new database entries

Since you’re (or could be) using this same form at multiple places, you should ideally add constraints for the query string and referrer URL too so only people who fill out the form from that specific source (LinkedIn) and campaign (if applicable) could flow through your send email campaign's flow. You also set this up as a trigger campaign-

• Trigger: Fills out Form with Referrer (or Web page if the form is placed on a Marketo LP) and Querystring constraints set 
  • Filter: Person Was Created with Source constraint as Web form filloutForm Name = <form>, and Date of Activity in past <few> minutes
  • Flow: Wait 7 days and Send Email

You can use advanced wait properties so the person comes out of the wait step on a particular day and time post which they'd be sent the email. Make sure the campaign's schedule tab is configured so a person can only run through the flow once. I don't really like using the Date of Activity constraint, but if you don't use it, the campaign would let people who were created by filling out this form earlier and who filled out this form again qualify which I belive is something you don't want. You can trigger off of the Person is Created trigger as well instead of the Filled out Form added as filter, but there might be a case that by the time the Filled out form activity gets logged in the person’s activity log, the smart campaign would have already processed this person (and rejected as they didn't have Filled out form activity at that point in time).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@KristienL,

Yes it can be done.

You set up a batch smart campaign that runs daily and looks for all people created 7 days previously.  You may also want to check to see if they've downloaded the whitepaper if that is important.

In the flow steps section, you send the follow up email.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Since you’re (or could be) using this same form at multiple places, you should ideally add constraints for the query string and referrer URL too so only people who fill out the form from that specific source (LinkedIn) and campaign (if applicable) could flow through your send email campaign's flow. You also set this up as a trigger campaign-

• Trigger: Fills out Form with Referrer (or Web page if the form is placed on a Marketo LP) and Querystring constraints set 
  • Filter: Person Was Created with Source constraint as Web form filloutForm Name = <form>, and Date of Activity in past <few> minutes
  • Flow: Wait 7 days and Send Email

You can use advanced wait properties so the person comes out of the wait step on a particular day and time post which they'd be sent the email. Make sure the campaign's schedule tab is configured so a person can only run through the flow once. I don't really like using the Date of Activity constraint, but if you don't use it, the campaign would let people who were created by filling out this form earlier and who filled out this form again qualify which I belive is something you don't want. You can trigger off of the Person is Created trigger as well instead of the Filled out Form added as filter, but there might be a case that by the time the Filled out form activity gets logged in the person’s activity log, the smart campaign would have already processed this person (and rejected as they didn't have Filled out form activity at that point in time).