Re: Setting "marketing suspended" to true when contact is inactive

Anonymous
Not applicable

Setting "marketing suspended" to true when contact is inactive

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if you can spot where I might have gone wrong here in my logic.

When a lead of ours becomes inactive (perhaps they no longer work for the company), rather than delete them in Salesforce we set their account name to "Inactive contacts". I've creating a triggered marketing activity that says: when company name changes to "inactive contact" then update "marketing suspended" to true. And I've set the schedule to run through every time (just in case someone leaves a company twice!)

But it's not working, and I can't figure out why.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks so much, Olivia.
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Olivia,

A couple of thoughts here:

1. I think it's better to have a No Longer at Company status instead of changing their Account name because if you move them out of the Account, that can affect reporting and the history of the firm.

2. It would be better to use Email Invalid = True because Suspended is more of a temp status to be flipped on/off based on other needs. Or to simply add contacts with No Longer at Company to your Suppression Lists.

The trigger should say Data Value Changes IS "Company Name" to New Value = "Inactive"
Change Data Value IS "Marketing Suspended" to TRUE
Run every time

but you should check to see if Company Name is the right one because you may need Account Name or another Company Name field. I've noticed more than one appears in Marketo in most firms.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much Josh. What you're saying makes complete sense!

All the best, Olivia.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry Josh, just one quick question.

You mentioned in your first point that if you move someone out of the Account it can affect reporting. I mentioned this to our SF admin but she asked how, and I honestly couldn't answer! So I wondered if you might be able to shed some light on to why it might affect reporting?

Thanks so much, Olivia.