Setting Known Visitor form to expire after 1 day

Ashley_Wicklund
Level 2

Setting Known Visitor form to expire after 1 day

I am interested in implementing the Known Visitor functionality on my forms, but want to set them up such that a returning visitor who filled out a form more than 1 day ago will see the full form again at the start of their next web session. 

Example: 

Day 1: person fills out ebook form

Day 1: person gets known visitor experience for ebooks 2 and 3, doesn't see form but just clicks Submit button

Day 2: person returns to website, goes to a different ebook LP. Gets the full form again. 

How can I set this up? I see that Adobe does this on their pages, so I know it's possible, but can't find any documentation about it. 

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Setting Known Visitor form to expire after 1 day

The concept of "known-ness" in Known Visitor HTML relates to the Munchkin cookie.

If there's a person record linked to the cookie, regardless of whether they've even filled out a form (this form or any other) and that person has at least First Name, Last Name, and Email Address populated in Marketo, then the form won't be shown.

The Munchkin cookie doesn't observe new sessions/visits, except in the very large sense of expiring after 2 years of inactivity.* Otherwise, it's the same cookie even if you shut down and restart your computer.

So to do what you describe is simple, but it can't use the built-in Known Visitor HTML, it has to use custom JS.

Set a cookie/local storage property to the current time when someone submits a form (onSuccess).  Then check that value whenever you're about to display a new form, and if it's within your timeframe, switch it out for another form that has just the big Submit button.

* or being forcibly expired in Safari after a week, which is a whole other ball of wax

Gunjan_Batra1
Level 4

Very messy way of implementation - You could build a logic to look at cookie date and strip off MKT TOK from the url (reload the page)

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Won't have any effect on an existing associated Munchkin cookie. The mkt_tok only exists on tracked links, and only applies if there's an anonymous cookie or if you need to switch associated leads. Neither is the case here. It's the same lead.