Re: Setting a limit for the number of call for webhooks in a smart campaign

Ariel_Sasso3
Level 2

Setting a limit for the number of call for webhooks in a smart campaign

I am currently working on a project where I am calling a webhook to push data to a tool for validation.  Recently, we ran into an issue where a list import qualified for this campaign which triggered over 40,000 webhook calls at once which caused processing errors in Marketo. 

Does anyone know how you can limit the number of webhook calls allowed to be triggered in the smart campaign or in the webhook itself? I know you can limit smart campaigns at the admin level, but is there a way to do it at a local smart campaign level? 

Thank you! 

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Setting a limit for the number of call for webhooks in a smart campaign

What kind of webhook is it?

Marketo will only ever send 20 webhook calls literally "at once" (the rest will wait for an open slot). What was the nature of the processing errors exactly?

If the remote service becomes overwhelmed — in other words, you've exceeded its own rate limits, because Marketo's implicit rate limit is actually quite high w/20 active conns opening one after another — you may have to build in a separate counter service that checks how many times the validation webhook has been called in a given period, then waits before calling the validator again.