Re: Sending an MMS using a Marketo webhook

Trevor_Sparks
Level 2

Sending an MMS using a Marketo webhook

We send SMS messages using Twilio and a Marketo webhook to prospects who give us their mobile phone number.

Now we're trying to send MMS messages the same way. I can get the image to appear in the message but the image URL is part of the body of the message.

Does anyone know the correct way to code an MMS message in a Marketo webhook so the URL doesn't appear in the body? I've tried <Media> and Media= but no luck.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Hi Trevor,

I'm not an expert on Twilio but if you check here: https://www.twilio.com/docs/sms/send-messages#include-media-in-your-messages

It says you have to:

- pass a MediaUrl query parameter with actual image URL

- Define the content-type in the webhook header to support it. You can check the supported content types  here: https://www.twilio.com/docs/sms/accepted-mime-types#supported-mime-types

Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Amit

Ajay_Parikh1
Level 3

We're trying to have Twilio send an image along with our text messages (MMS vs. SMS).
We've already set up the tokens -  Body {{SMS Message}} and MediaURL {{SMS Media URL}} and updated our webhook to send values from those tokens to Twilio already but Twilio keeps ignoring the Media URL.

Can anyone tell me how to define 'content-type' in a Marketo webhook?

Ajay_Parikh1_0-1665596972141.png

Ajay_Parikh1_1-1665597210880.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I don’t think setting the HTTP Content-Type is what you want. But if you do, it would be set right there in Custom Headers.

Ajay_Parikh1
Level 3

Thanks, Sanford.

Anyone have an idea as to how to send a URL that can stay as a URL (not convert to plain text) when sending via a webhook?

We can get our message to send (as SMS) but the URL for the associated image turns into plain text so you can't see the image in the text received via Twilio (as MMS).

Would I need to send over the Media URL in a rich text token instead?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I notice the correct name of the query param is MediaUrl (different case from your example).

Makes no difference if you use a Rich Text token. This is simple text which just needs to be URL-encoded. Marketo encodes it automatically since you have Form/Url selected.

You should also add the Content-Type in the Custom Headers if you have not done so already (though it’s the same Content-Type when you send SMS or MMS).