Sending an email from a secondary domain

Naor_Chazan3
Level 2

Sending an email from a secondary domain

We have a unique situation where we're launching another domain for our company, and I would like to use our Marketo instance to send some emails "from" this secondary domain. I see the option under ADMIN>EMAIL but how do you then tell a specific email send WHICH "from" domain to use?

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Sending an email from a secondary domain

Change the email's From: field, either via token or hard-coded.

Naor_Chazan3
Level 2

But we'll still need to do the requisite MX record and CNAME changes like as if we were setting up a new domain, right?

SanfordWhiteman

Setting up the MX record isn't related to Marketo (unless you're also using branded sender domains on your subscription).

You must be able to receive mail to user@example.com, but that mail isn't going back to Marketo. The MX for example.com will be your corporate mailserver, so the record needs to point there, if it doesn't exist already.

You don't need any CNAMEs set up to send mail from a new domain.

You should set up DKIM for the new domain and -- again only if you're using a branded sender domain -- SPF.

Naor_Chazan3
Level 2

Sanford - the only thing I want to do is be able to send email from this secondary domain, having it appear to come from that domain, without it landing in spam etc. Is that what you mean by branded sender domain?

SanfordWhiteman

Is that what you mean by branded sender domain?

Nopw. Branded sender domain means the SMTP envelope sender (which you do not see nor set at the individual email level, it's on the admin onboarding checklist) is subdomain.example.com, where example.com is your corporate domain. On a standard shared Marketo instance this is not the case (which is why SPF is irrelevant for those cases). On dedicated servers and/or with the feature specifically added to your subscription, it's another area to configure. If you're on a shared instance, you don't need to worry about it. If you aren't sure if you're using the feature, you can send me an email and I'll immediately know.

If you're not using branded sender: DKIM TXT record and MX record for the From: domain.

If you are using branded sender: DKIM and MX for the From: domain, SPF and MX for the sender domain.

Karan_Hari3
Level 9

Hi Naor Chazan ,

You can overwrite the primary branded domain on a per email basis. This will change how the links are branded when the email is sent. This Article in Marketo Product docs about Overwrite Primary Domain for Emails should help you. Please find below the snapshot for the same

pastedImage_1.png

Hope this helps.

Best Always,

Karan Hari

Karan Hari
Senior Product Manager - Marketo Engage
SanfordWhiteman

From domain and Branded Domain aren't the same thing.

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Can we use a token for "Branded Domain" too? That would be handy....

SanfordWhiteman

Not yet as it's a dropdown.