Re: Send SMS message to notify people of new training course

Jackie_Potts
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

Send SMS message to notify people of new training course

We would like to message our internal team with SMS when a new training course is ready for them. What is the best SMS solution for accomplishing this that integrates with Marketo?

I started looking at Twilio and information others had posted, but it is not working with the webhook type of design listed below. There is probably something in my set up that isn't correct, so I am looking for advice on the best tool and correct way to set it up.

Thanks so much.

Webhook Name: Twilio Webhook

Description: Send an SMS

URL: https://%AccountSID%:%AuthToken%@api.twilio.com/2010-04-01/Accounts/%%AuthToken%@api.twilio.com/2010-04-01/Accounts/%AccountSID%/Messages.json (note you'll have to replace "Account SID" and "AuthToken" with the values from your Twilio Account

Request Type: POST

Template: From=%Your Send Number%&To={{lead.Mobile Phone Number}}&Body={{lead.Twilio Message:default=Test Message}}

Request Token Encoding: jSON

Response Type: None

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jackie,

this is because you need to change {{lead.Mobile Phone Number}} in the Template and enter here the mobile number of the person you want to alert. It can be hard coded, using a {{my. token or an {{lead. token.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jackie,

To clarify, with the Template you are using, you are send the SMS to the lead himself. If you want to alert someone internally, you need to use another token that contains the addressee's mobile phone. You can use a lead token (for instance if you had a field called Owner Mobile Phone, the token would be {{lead.Owner Mobile Phone Number}}) or you can set a program token, for instance {{my.Alert Mobile Phone}}.

With the later, the template would be:

Template: From=%Your Send Number%&To={{my.Alert Mobile Phone}}&Body={{lead.Twilio Message:default=Test Message}}

-Greg

Jackie_Potts

I actually do want to send the SMS directly to the lead as the template is listed, but unfortunately this solution is not working using the information above. No SMS is sent so I must have something not working correctly in the webhook besides that token.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You'll have to post more details, specifically the Activity Log Detail popup for the Call Webhook activity.  You should always be looking there for responses from the remote server.

Jackie_Potts

Nothing is showing up in the activity log so it seems it is failing.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If it's failing to even qualify people for the SC, then it's not a webhook prob.

Jackie_Potts

We found that SalesMsg works best for what we were trying to do. They have excellent documentation on how to set it up and are much more helpful that what we found Twilio to be in our case. We are using SalesMsg to communicate with our field sales and support team as the use case for utilizing SalesMsg.