SOLVED

Re: Send plain text emails to simulate a sales rep send

Go to solution
RaulEr
Level 4

Send plain text emails to simulate a sales rep send

Hi community,

I've received a request from Sales to create a template so we can send plain text emails to make them look like they are coming directly from a rep.

I'm wondering what happens with the footer section where we include socials but also the unsubscribe link, copyright and all that legal stuff.

Does anyone do this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Daniel_Peacock
Level 2

Hello! Our team deploys this type of email on occasion, we call them "Sales enablement type emails" when speaking with our non-Marketo using partners. We tend to use Marketo's default "Personal Note" template, which will still insert the unsubscribe text/HTML configured for your instance at the bottom of the email. If you need to double check or adjust that unsubscribe footer, you can find it in the Admin tab under "Email" settings (check out this article for the details). If you have your email footer saved as a snippet, you can also use that to get your socials/legal text into these emails, you may just create a slightly adjusted version of that snippet so that is blends better with the look of a plain-text sort of email. 

Is the request from sales to create this plain text email as an option for them to send via Sales Insight, or would this be something you deploy as part of a marketing campaign run from Marketo? I only have experience with the latter, and one thing I would flag as a watch-out there is that you will want to triple-check what recipients will be getting these. We have a pretty big org, which sometimes means our sales owner name and email address fields can fall out of date due to folks leaving/changing roles. This makes it risky to use tokens for the email address/sender name in those types of emails, so just be mindful if that is the case for your team.

Hope this is helpful! Curious to see how others have approached this type of use case, so thanks for asking a thought-provoking question! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'm wondering what happens with the footer section where we include socials but also the unsubscribe link, copyright and all that legal stuff.

Well, what happens is up to you.

It’s still a marketing email and all regulations and ethics apply.

JaredKimball
Level 2

Raul,

We do this in our system - without Sales Insight because we don't use SalesForce.

Basically, we did this:

1. Create "Sales Rep Fields" i.e. (Sales Rep First Name, Sales Rep Last Name, Sales Rep Email Address, and etc.)
    1. Create "Sales Email Template" field (called "Agent Template" in our system) - this is stored on the contacts record when the form is filled out and is used in the Flow
  2. Create email(s) using the Sales Rep Fields where necessary to personalize the email with Rep info and Person Info
  3. Create a Web Form that Sales Reps fill out on Marketo Landing page - Form will need (see image below):
    1. Sales Rep (Agent) First Name
    2. Sales Rep (Agent) Last Name
    3. Sales Rep (Agent) Email address
    4. Drop down options to choose one of the "Sales Email Templates"
    5. Etc.
      Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 9.57.28 AM.png
  4. Set up Flow Step to send an email based on "Sales Email Template" choice on webform
    Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 9.59.19 AM.png

Hope that helps you move in the right direction.

Daniel_Peacock
Level 2

Hello! Our team deploys this type of email on occasion, we call them "Sales enablement type emails" when speaking with our non-Marketo using partners. We tend to use Marketo's default "Personal Note" template, which will still insert the unsubscribe text/HTML configured for your instance at the bottom of the email. If you need to double check or adjust that unsubscribe footer, you can find it in the Admin tab under "Email" settings (check out this article for the details). If you have your email footer saved as a snippet, you can also use that to get your socials/legal text into these emails, you may just create a slightly adjusted version of that snippet so that is blends better with the look of a plain-text sort of email. 

Is the request from sales to create this plain text email as an option for them to send via Sales Insight, or would this be something you deploy as part of a marketing campaign run from Marketo? I only have experience with the latter, and one thing I would flag as a watch-out there is that you will want to triple-check what recipients will be getting these. We have a pretty big org, which sometimes means our sales owner name and email address fields can fall out of date due to folks leaving/changing roles. This makes it risky to use tokens for the email address/sender name in those types of emails, so just be mindful if that is the case for your team.

Hope this is helpful! Curious to see how others have approached this type of use case, so thanks for asking a thought-provoking question! 

RaulEr
Level 4

Thanks all!

I'll follow all suggestions.