Re: Send marketing emails from subdomain?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Send marketing emails from subdomain?

Our IT security team has recently decided that it's a risk to allow any third party email provider to send emails from our primary corporate domain, and is asking us to start sending them from a subdomain instead. I'm not excited about this idea for a number of reasons--primarily that I'm concerned it will impact the sender reputation we have cultivated for our primary domain.

Do any of you send email from a subdomain? Do you get a lot of marketing emails from subdomains? I'm wondering how common this practice is.

Thanks for the help!
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes I have done this.

You just setup a subdomain CNAME and make sure your IT guys have it as alias to any existing email boxes you want to monitor. The details would vary by server type.

for instance, you could have

info@company.com be the primary box, but info@news.company.com would be a valid alias.

You would then have to setup Marketo to have spf/dkim for that subdomain.

Then you can use the @news.company.com emails in your marketo emails. There's not a real setup to do once your IT guy handles it.

As for sender reputation, there are good docs on ramping up an IP address, but in all honestly, this isn't necessary for a subdomain. You should probably mention the minor change in an email and ask folks to add the new address to their contact lists. In my experience, this step wasn't necessary and we had no impact on our deliverability.

I do see this practice and generally recommend it in these situations.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kate,
We do recommend to send your Marketing emails from a subdomain.

It is good practice to have a seperate domain, and thus reputation, for Marketing and internal/personal emails so one reputation does not affect the other. I would say that it is common practice to do this and a wise choice, especially if your IT team is worried about security concerns.

Just remember to set up SPF and DKIM for your new subdomain.

Will
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.