Segmentation qualification: do the exclusion works only when the segmentation is approved?

ggerla
Level 4

Segmentation qualification: do the exclusion works only when the segmentation is approved?

Hello,

As we know, the segmentation is mutually exclusive, so a person will exist only in the first segment for which it qualifies (by priority).

I'm working on segmentation optimization, and I've created a brand new one: this is just a DRAFT, and it has never been approved. I need to confirm a doubt because I found the same record across different segments in this new one. Also, if I sum up the number of people across the segments, the outcome is greater than the database count. So I can imagine there are duplicates across the segmentation.

Does the mutual exclusion filter work ONLY if the segmentation has been approved? 

This could be problematic because if I have an exclusion list at the top of the priority order that should filter out people from the following segments, if not approved, I cannot understand if the segmentation is working fine.

Approving it is a little bit problematic (I already have 20 segmentations - which is a hard limit), and I should create another Workspace to not share the segmentation with anyone.

4 REPLIES 4
Agrawal_Kirti
Level 2

Re: Segmentation qualification: do the exclusion works only when the segmentation is approved?

Hey,

I also faced a similar issue when I created segmentation. I noticed duplicates appearing in the segments, which shouldn’t happen. From my understanding and experience, segments only work as intended - meaning the mutual exclusion rules are properly enforced - once the segmentation is approved.

In draft mode, records may appear in multiple segments and lead to discrepancies in counts. 

Regards,
KIRTI
uditmathur
Level 6

Re: Segmentation qualification: do the exclusion works only when the segmentation is approved?

Hi @ggerla ,

Can you provide some more details on what your use case is or what exactly you want to achieve.

Regarding approving your segment you can very well go ahead & approve & later delete it until its not associated with any asset.

ggerla
Level 4

HI,
I need to understand how many people are affected by some new rules in a segment.
The fun fact: I cannot approve another segmentation since I've already reached the 20 limit!
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You could create a series of nested Smart Lists for testing (Smart List 2's first filter is Not Member of Smart List 1, Smart List 3's first two filters are Not Member of Smart List 1 and Not Member of Smart List 2, etc.).