Re: Segmentation & Dynamic Content Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Segmentation & Dynamic Content Question

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding segmentation and dynamic content. Basically, for an event promotion we have a form that allows the user to select all the conferences we are hosting they would like to attend (so they can select multiple choices). I'd like to then send a confirmation email that shows which conferences they signed up for (so if they signed up for three, information on the three they selected would populate in the email).

We have seven conferences total - would the easiest way to do this be to set up seven different segments (one for each seminar) and then have the email's dynamic content populate any that are selected? I'd like to have them neatly line up on top of each other, and only show information for seminars they signed up for.

Just trying to figure out the easiest way to do this and avoid bombarding registrants with multiple confirmation emails. Any insight or suggestions would be most appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Can you move the question over to ​Products?

Rachel_Noble
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

The thing about segmentations is that segments are mutually exclusive. If you want to use a snippet, it will reflect the highest-prioritized segment. You could potentially create a string field and use multi-select in the form. Then, your content could be framed around logic where [if field contains Event A, display Event A information, otherwise NULL].

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Segments are mutually exclusive, but Andrew could create 7 different segmentations (where the snippet has content for segment "True," and is blank for the Default segment).

However, I think this is a bit much if it's just a tiny bit of information for each seminar.  Instead you could use a Velocity script that checks for which lead fields are True and outputs some friendly text.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

I agree with Sanford here... Segmentations are going to be overkill. And I think each subscription is limited in the number of segmentations you can create, so this wouldn't be scalable. Velocity scripting would likely be the best bet here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your replies. I've never used Velocity scripting before, but it sounds like that would be the easiest way to do this without going overkill with segmentations. I'll give it a shot!