Segment smart list by when they joined the list

Suzanne_McKee
Level 1

Segment smart list by when they joined the list

Hi,

I want to report on when people became subscribers to our email program. I have a smart list created for each subscription level (how often they want to hear from us.) How can I see who joined that list on or before December 31st? January 30th? etc to get a retrospective look at what our list size at the end of each month.

This doesn't necessarily correspond with when they were added to our database but rather when their field for each subscription level changed.

Any help is much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Segment smart list by when they joined the list

The "joining" of a Smart List is entirely dynamic; as you point out, their qualification for the SL is a matter of when their field changed. And it could change back and forth many times, the first time it changed to value X is not a property of the Smart List, but merely a line in the Activity Log of the lead, which will age out of the log in 90 days.

You can create a Smart List for all people who had a Data Value Changed to value in the past 90 days (or any date range within those 90 days) though note the exact date(s) will not be a column in the results. 

If you were using Program Status changes (highly recommended) those activities are kept for 25 months, which is far more usable.

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

This ^^

If you're only interested in the FIRST time they joined a segment, you can have a Date field in Marketo that you date-stamp via a Smart Campaign if they qualify, and the field is empty. Then you can export that field in a list export and analyse away, or use it in your Smart List filters.

Suzanne_McKee
Level 1

Thank you! I am still trying to figure this out. I have created my smart list trying to utilize program status change. 

Here is a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 12.44.02 PM.png

But it shows no people in the list but this can't be true. Any additional help would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Suzanne

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Never say "can't". 🙂

Take the first filter out, it's just complicating things for now. Look at the SL people with the one filter in place. Then post a lead's Activity Log & Activity Log Detail that shows a Program Status change that you expected to be matched.