Seeking advice on using Knak to design Email and Landing Page Templates for Marketo

mahmoud-ahmed
Level 1

Seeking advice on using Knak to design Email and Landing Page Templates for Marketo

Hello Everyone!

We are about to start using Knak for the first time to design email and landing page templates for Marketo. I would like to learn about how other Marketo users are using Knak to do the same thing.

I have put down here some general questions that I am hoping to get answers to;

(1) What creation method or strategy are you following (Creation Process) when using Knak to design email and landing page templates for Marketo?

(2) How do you set-up the back end of Knak for Marketo?

(3) Do you create generic design email and landing page templates and then sync it to Marketo?

(4) Is there a way to sync the email and landing page templates directly to the “Design Studio” in Marketo, and then re-use these templates globally in Marketo?

(5) What is your Knak organization strategy (Brands, Folders Structure and Naming Convention)?

(6) Are there any recommended email and landing page themes that works better?

I would really appreciate any advice on this matter.

Any documentations or screen shots would be super helpful. Happy to connect if it helps.

2 REPLIES 2
Disha_Goyal6
Level 3

Re: Seeking advice on using Knak to design Email and Landing Page Templates for Marketo

Hi @mahmoud-ahmed,

Earlier, we have worked on this tool and here are my findings:

1. In Marketo, you have an option to hide the sections at LP level but this tool does not provide this fexibility

2. Also, I have checked the HTML and it is not upto the mark. 

For your queries, please see my comments inline:

(1) What creation method or strategy are you following (Creation Process) when using Knak to design email and landing page templates for Marketo? 

Ans: Drag and Drop Method

Ans - We have to setup the modules within Knak so we can drag and drop them.  

(3) Do you create generic design email and landing page templates and then sync it to Marketo?

Ans - We can create the templates in Knak but, we can sync only the emails and landing pages in Knak with Marketo, not the templates. Once it is synced, then your template will be there in Marketo.  

(4) Is there a way to sync the email and landing page templates directly to the “Design Studio” in Marketo, and then re-use these templates globally in Marketo? -

Ans - Once you create the email then you can use the template in Marketo. But, if you create the assets from the knak tool itself then, every time knak will create a new template

(5) What is your Knak organization strategy (Brands, Folders Structure and Naming Convention)? -

Ans - Folders Structure and Naming Convention  

(6) Are there any recommended email and landing page themes that works better? -

Ans - We have created it from scratch so no experience of starter templates.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Disha

Chris_Willis1
Level 8 - Champion

Re: Seeking advice on using Knak to design Email and Landing Page Templates for Marketo

Hi - Here are some thoughts from our implementations.

I have put down here some general questions that I am hoping to get answers to; (

1) What creation method or strategy are you following (Creation Process) when using Knak to design email and landing page templates for Marketo?

We have email and landing page templates that are module-based in Knak and aligned to our brand standards. Very few users have the ability to freeform. We have put common tokens used in email footers into our Knak templates (and Knak does integrate with tokens pretty well, although I do recommend running a technical QA from Marketo before every send.

The creation strategy I'd recommend is creating assets in Knak based on their campaign function (you can templatize this and align to your program templates now, which is a really nice feature), and then getting your content approvals complete before synching (you can resync if needed).

The integration is basic REST API and assets sync up with programs.

One thing to note and make sure you QA: Some of our synched local landing pages didn't reference back to the program, which impacted native acquisition functionality. Do test this... I believe this is the one quirk we've found with the integration (other than the fact that Knak does create a new template for each synched asset, which can be mitigated by a good archiving strategy)

Our teams have not done this, but this is a good practice for repeatable auto-responder emails.

(4) Is there a way to sync the email and landing page templates directly to the “Design Studio” in Marketo, and then re-use these templates globally in Marketo?

Not sure. I believe you need to sync to a program.

(5) What is your Knak organization strategy (Brands, Folders Structure and Naming Convention)?

Brands based on business unit, and folder structure by Campaign. Our teams align the Knak asset naming convention with the Marketo program naming convention. I'd recommend that across platforms (including UTM) that you use your program naming convention structure as your source of truth across assets.

(6) Are there any recommended email and landing page themes that works better? I would really appreciate any advice on this matter.

This is a design question... I think you'll find that this answer "depends" - keep A/B testing and trying new things 🙂