Re: See More Activity Data When Posting a Lead

mikepeck2061
Level 1

See More Activity Data When Posting a Lead

We would like to submit data from our CMS to Marketo via the post lead api rather than using the forms submit api or the sdk. Mainly our reason is more control on the front-end of our forms but still using all the lead management / automation magic of Marketo, of course. 

Our issue is the users are very reliant on checking submissions in the Activity Details to ensure they have (for example) the correct query parameters and data coming through. 

Is there a way to get a similar set of activity data as seen in the first of the two screens attached? The first is what we get when using the forms embed which is our current state. The second is what we see when leveraging the post lead api. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 11.36.21.png

Thanks!

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
adrianfraguela
Level 3

You can use the "Submit Form" endpoint in the REST API. Hitting that endpoint would give you the “Fill out Form” activity in the activity log.

https://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/lead-database/leads/#submit_form

The only concern I would have with a public-facing form is that if you get spammers taking advantage. If you are calling the API after each form submission without any rate-limiting, it would be very easy to consume your daily API limit in Marketo.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

We would like to submit data from our CMS to Marketo via the post lead api rather than using the forms submit api or the sdk. Mainly our reason is more control on the front-end of our forms but still using all the lead management / automation magic of Marketo, of course.

How does the Push Lead REST API endpoint (I assume you mean that, not “post lead”) provide more control on the front end than the Submit Form REST API endpoint?

Or for that matter, how does it give more control than the Forms JS API submit method (I assume that’s what you mean by the SDK).

Like Adrian says, it sounds like you want the Submit Form REST API endpoint or the Forms JS API. Both of these give you complete control over the form look-and-feel. The Forms JS API is far more resilient against DOS attacks.