Re: SDR org structure & process best practices - Ideas & feedback wanted!

Mackenzie_Warre
Level 2

SDR org structure & process best practices - Ideas & feedback wanted!

My company is thinking about restructuring our SDR organization to split it into two teams: MRRs that field inbound demo requests and SDRs that outbound to target accounts that they own. I'd love to connect with anyone who has experience with this org structure. 

My questions are mainly around managing the process of who fields which requests. For example, 

if a request comes in for an account owned by an SDR, who does it go to? One way to do it would be to send it to the account owner, because presumably, they have been working that account. Another way would be to set some sort of timeframe within which the SDR has to have been in contact with that account in order for the SDR to still be eligible to field the request, say two weeks, one month, three months, whatever, otherwise it goes to an MRR. Any thoughts on what works well? 

And more broadly what other challenges have you faced with a structure like that and how did you solve for them?

I welcome any and all feedback, so give me your best ideas and cautionary tales!

1 REPLY 1
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: SDR org structure & process best practices - Ideas & feedback wanted!

There are tons of ideas online and in professional books. Firms like TOPO also advise. 

My personal view is make this as simple as possible:

1. Incoming requests go to SDR for evaluation based on the widest criteria possible (geo, industry, not zip code or target account---gets too complex).
    1. If SDR finds that the person is a Customer/Active Opp - they pass it on.
    2. if SDR finds a qualified leads, they own it and work it, or they make a meeting for the appropriate AE.
    3. Often SDRs can own smaller Opps or small businesses.
  2. BDR (outbound team)
    1. they can have assigned territories/accounts and they work that list.
  3. AE Team maps to BDR Team.