SOLVED

Score decay with "last updated" filter

Go to solution
Zoltan
Level 1

Score decay with "last updated" filter

Hello Everybody,

I'm in the process of setting up a scoring model. And I am trying to set up the score decay.

What I want to do is to subtract X points if the record has not been updated in the past Y weeks.

For that I am using an "Updated At" field but I am unsure what operator to use as some of the options are not too descriptive (to me at least). See below:

Zoltan_1-1689599812057.png

Any suggestions on which option can do this for me?

Thanks in advance!

Zoltán

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Score decay with "last updated" filter

Well, that's not a filter, you're using the field "Updated At" as a flow step condition. You set the condition as: if the person is "Updated At in past Y weeks" Do Nothing, and in the Default Choice, update their Behavior Score by subtracting as many points as you like.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1689600627725.png

Also, instead of using the "Updated At" field for scoring, I'd rather advise using meaningful person interactions to score (positively/negatively) people. E.g., for score decay, you could consider: if a person hasn't submitted a form in the past X weeks, hasn't visited your website in the past X weeks, or has Unsubscribed/Opted-Out, etc.

The "Updated At" field would get updated for any updates on the person record, and these updates need not be person interactions. They could very well be operational updates (e.g., add to a list, system field updates, etc.). Even Opt-out, Unsubscribed are also counted as updates. So the campaign you're trying to build, a person who recently Unsubscribed, or a person who was added to an operational list (not due to any of their interactions/actions) won't flow through the flow, and hence, their score won't be decayed, even though it makes sense to decay their score.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Darshil_Shah1

Well, that's not a filter, you're using the field "Updated At" as a flow step condition. You set the condition as: if the person is "Updated At in past Y weeks" Do Nothing, and in the Default Choice, update their Behavior Score by subtracting as many points as you like.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1689600627725.png

Also, instead of using the "Updated At" field for scoring, I'd rather advise using meaningful person interactions to score (positively/negatively) people. E.g., for score decay, you could consider: if a person hasn't submitted a form in the past X weeks, hasn't visited your website in the past X weeks, or has Unsubscribed/Opted-Out, etc.

The "Updated At" field would get updated for any updates on the person record, and these updates need not be person interactions. They could very well be operational updates (e.g., add to a list, system field updates, etc.). Even Opt-out, Unsubscribed are also counted as updates. So the campaign you're trying to build, a person who recently Unsubscribed, or a person who was added to an operational list (not due to any of their interactions/actions) won't flow through the flow, and hence, their score won't be decayed, even though it makes sense to decay their score.

Zoltan
Level 1

Hi Darshil,

Having the minus score for the default is the way to go actually, thanks!

And thanks for the tip, that makes more sense indeed!

I think I will try out that approach, see if I can cover everything I need, and get back to this thread.

Will keep this topic open.

Zoltan
Level 1

I looked at the approach to cover all main client activities for score decay and came up with the below setup.

It is by no means perfect - i'm still quite new to Marketo - but I think it would more or less do what I intend:

Zoltan_0-1689606222825.png

Does this makes sense?

Thanks!

Darshil_Shah1

Usually, the negative scoring campaigns are set as recurring batch campaigns instead of trigger campaigns. This helps ensure that people flow through it as soon as they qualify for the filter instead of waiting for the trigger conditions to meet in the first place. Additionally, what interactions you want to consider for scoring (negative/positive) is entirely up to you/your business requirement, but just want to let you know Email Opens/Clicks are not 100% genuine human-originated interactions as more often than not, they are registered in the activity log due email bot/scanner activities. I hope you're prudent in setting the Advanced filtering logic for the smart list, the red squiggly line in your snapshot probably indicates that you have missing filters in the condition (it'll show you the error reason if you hover around the advanced logic text box), but let us know if you need help setting that up. 🙂

Zoltan
Level 1

Hi Darshil,

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into it!

The filters were in no way final when I took the screenshot 🙂

And yeah I know that bots pre-scan stuff more and more nowadays but its just means I will need to try to cover all my bases in terms of interactions.

Thanks again!