Re: Same Lead in Group List and Group Smart List

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same Lead in Group List and Group Smart List

We have done API integration in our sites. After filling up a form, the leads become part of the Group Smart List - XYZ.

When we held webinars, people sign up and they become part of the Group List - ABC. We created the group list ABC to understand who are interested in webinars.

Now it happens that certain leads have filled up our forms and became part of Group Smart List - XYZ. Then they again fill up webinar form and become part of the Group List - ABC. We need to use these lists - ABC, XYZ for our next webinars.

1. Issue is - few leads are present in both Group List ABC and Group Smart List  XYZ. If we use these lists for next webinars, then those leads will get double mails. We need to avoid that. What is the best practice?

2. Any tips for lead database management? What I mean is - after some months, there will too many leads in our Group Smart List. So is it better to remove the leads on weekly basis from Group Smart List to specific Group lists?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Create a new Smart List and email just to this list:

• Member of Smart List = "Group Smart List - XYZ"
  • Member of List = "Group List - ABC"

...if you're going to email multiple rounds, then add:

• Not Was Delivered Email = [all PRIOR emails]
  • Unsubscribed = false

2. You cannot manually remove from smart lists, since they are rule-defined (i.e. defined by filters).  And regular static lists are for groups of people who cannot be rule-defined.  In general, you should remove all unwanted people from your list, including:

• unsubscribes/opt-outs
  • hard bounces
  • (people clearly outside your target email audience, e.g. non-clients for customer support team)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Philip for the reply.

But I am just wondering if we create a Smart List in Campaign:

• Member of Smart List = "Group Smart List - XYZ"
  • Member of List = "Group List - ABC"

then what about the leads who are present in both group list and group smart list? Will they not get mails twice?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo has automated communication limits, defaulted to 1 per day & 3 per week, I believe.  So in one sense, that is not possible.

To answer your question, all Smart Lists (SL) are designed to act like lists that has no duplicates.  If you have leads that overlap from other lists (defined in a SL), then it treats those records as unique for whatever action you plan to take in the "Flow" tab.

When you are doing emails, you actually want to reference multiple SL & static lists (ones you where you import) so you can better segment your entire database.

PL

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Philip