SOLVED

Salesforce or Marketo ID as a UTM parameter

Go to solution
bflynn-ciena
Level 1

Salesforce or Marketo ID as a UTM parameter

Hi, 

Our team is interested in tracking individual lead website activity in Adobe Analytics, and are thinking about leveraging UTMs to connect a leads Salesforce ID to their web activity in a report. 

Unknown.png (this was just a test to see that the data came through). 

Has anyone ever done something similar in their instance? Are there any legal/compliance issues this might cause? Would it be enough to add a line in our privacy policy stating we will generate and use a Salesforce ID for new leads? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Salesforce or Marketo ID as a UTM parameter

There are possible security/compliance considerations but the major issue is a technical one.

• Security: some firms don't like to include any semi-permanent data in a URL that could theoretically be deferenced back to the lead's email address if the email is intercepted, i.e. it then becomes PII. Not saying you need to worry about this but some do.
  • Technical: neither the SFDC ID nor Marketo ID is a permalink. Both of them can change as a result of merges.  So you can't rely on this data long-term, but if you join against it immediately and save the data (i.e. email address) then you should be okay. 

View solution in original post

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Associating activities with an unique activity id/person id is probably normal and happens all the time. Associating web activities to it may not affect you per se. However, the way you’re doing it may need to be checked to ensure  it’s not out of compliance, for which you should probably check with your legal team as to - is it okay to use the SFDC ID in email URL or not. Different companies may have different levels of compliance, but I can see this could probably be an issue to relatively more conservative companies.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

There are possible security/compliance considerations but the major issue is a technical one.

• Security: some firms don't like to include any semi-permanent data in a URL that could theoretically be deferenced back to the lead's email address if the email is intercepted, i.e. it then becomes PII. Not saying you need to worry about this but some do.
  • Technical: neither the SFDC ID nor Marketo ID is a permalink. Both of them can change as a result of merges.  So you can't rely on this data long-term, but if you join against it immediately and save the data (i.e. email address) then you should be okay. 
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Associating activities with an unique activity id/person id is probably normal and happens all the time. Associating web activities to it may not affect you per se. However, the way you’re doing it may need to be checked to ensure  it’s not out of compliance, for which you should probably check with your legal team as to - is it okay to use the SFDC ID in email URL or not. Different companies may have different levels of compliance, but I can see this could probably be an issue to relatively more conservative companies.

SanfordWhiteman

@bflynn-ciena please return to your thread and check responses.