Salesforce Marketo App Install: Sync Setup when already have Marketo database

Anonymous
Not applicable

Salesforce Marketo App Install: Sync Setup when already have Marketo database

Hi Folks!  I'm interested in any ideas/materials that may help smooth the way where transitioning the following;

- FROM Marketo standalone use (loaded manually with csv report data from legacy CRM);

- TO Salesforce Marketo App (with Sync);

- Where Salesforce database is NEW (with planned@ SFDC Person Account import from legacy CRM);

- And where Marketo database already exists (from previous standalone use fed from legacy CRM);

- And where Salesforce is also integrated with Zuora Billings/Quotes (* Which acts as Master to some Person Account data)

I'm aware of Marketo materials here:

SFDC Sync Details - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Thanks much for any thoughts!

Michael

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Salesforce Marketo App Install: Sync Setup when already have Marketo database

Michael,

If you are using Person Accounts, I would strongly suggest working with your SFDC Admin and Consultants to decide on a strategy. Marketo requires some tweaking to work with those records. It's not common, and if you do a search here, very few threads discuss this issue.

The second part is that when you do sync, SFDC will push all the records to Marketo. Marketo does not dedupe on SFDC created records. This will likely mean you end up with dupes in Marketo unless you manage the process or clear our Marketo first. Tools like RingLead can assist with the cleanup, or use LeanData perhaps?

As for Zuora, you should discuss with your consultants and the Zuora Customer team. I doubt this has a direct effect on Marketo, but it sounds like there could be complications if you aren't careful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Salesforce Marketo App Install: Sync Setup when already have Marketo database

Helpful feedback Josh - Thanks very much!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Michael,

I have already covered this in a few articles (see Salesforce Implementation with 3-year old Marketo Database ). On top of what Josh wrote, consider Marketo's easy merge service (to be contracted from Marketo Professional Services) to merge in Marketo the contacts that will come from SFDC with the one you imported a while ago.

Once you have duplicated the records, you also will have to deduplicate the fields. It is likely that you have created custom fields in Marketo that will duplicate some of the fields that will come from SFDC. You will have to decide on a strategy here as well, in order to know which data to keep (SFDC's Or Marketo), then copy the resulting data in SFDC-mapped  fields and then completely hide the fields you had created in Marketo and that are now useless.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Solid feedback and I appreciate Greg - Thank you!