Re: Salesforce Custom Object Data Value Change Trigger

Chris_Vanderma1
Level 4

Salesforce Custom Object Data Value Change Trigger

Hi Community! Hoping someone can help me.

I've recently enabled a custom Salesforce object in Marketo. I see I can now trigger based on "added to <<custom object>>". I see I can constrain this trigger based on only those who match a constraint criteria that is a field in the custom object, which I assume only applies at the time of being associated to the custom object. What I'd really like to do is trigger based on a data value change to a field on the custom object, but I can't find a way to do it. The best I can see is to run a daily batch, but ideally I'd love to make it run in real time.

It would be fantastic if Marketo added a "data value changed on <<custom object>>" trigger which could then be constrained to new and/or old values of specific fields.

Has anyone run into this? Any thoughts?

16 REPLIES 16
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

AFAIK we still can't reach into COs like that (see https://nation.marketo.com/message/2419#comment-2419).

I was just going over this limitation with a client today.

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Chris Vandermarel

Yes, custom objects (Marketo or SFDC) can only trigger smart campaigns on insert, not on update. It is a strange and often frustrating limitation, especially as the recommendation for custom object usage is for entities whose properties can potentially change (unlike custom activities, which are static events) but those changes cannot trigger smart campaigns.

In a client scenario where this capability was mission critical, we have overcome the limitation by using apex to trigger a new record to be inserted to a separate integration object every time one of the original custom object records changed.

This "update-as-insert" integration object included checkboxes to indicate which fields had changed (which could be used as constraints) and was synced to Marketo.

This level of effort may not be warranted depending on your use case though.

---

Justin Norris | Perkuto

SanfordWhiteman

In a client scenario where this capability was mission critical, we have overcome the limitation by using apex to trigger a new record to be inserted to a separate integration object every time one of the original custom object records changed.

RIngs a ␇

Justin_Norris1

Justin_Norris1

I should add thatSanford Whiteman​ was responsible for the genesis of this idea, something that will hopefully surprise no one .

SanfordWhiteman

Glad that idea worked out! I find myself in another client situation today where even that wouldn't work, because of the "first 10 objects in Velocity" prob.  Maybe I'll talk to you off-list about it my possible approach there and see what you think.

Justin_Norris1

Please do!

Chris_Vanderma1
Level 4

Thanks for the replies Sanford Whiteman​ and Justin Norris​. Unfortunate to hear!

Sadly the whole reason for the undertaking is to avoid APEX and have Marketo send alerts and drop people into campaigns when CDO data values change.

For now I'll likely run this as a nightly batch. What I might even do is set-up four redundant batches cascading across our business hours all checking for the same thing, and add if statements so that if one of the four is positive then that contact can't qualify for the other three.

Is there an idea somewhere to like for this?

PS - haven't seen you in a while, Justin. Hope to catch you soon.

Justin_Norris1

Chris Vandermarel​ Likewise! I hope all is well with you.

And yes you can vote on: