SOLVED

Rules for changes to the timing of a flow after members are in a campaign

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rules for changes to the timing of a flow after members are in a campaign

I recently had a flow that had a series of emails going out, seperated by the "wait until date" option. After 40 people were in the program, I changed the date it was supposed to be waiting for. Unfortunately, an email went out to everyone on the date I had originally!

On a side note, this seems to be a design flaw in Marketo.

What I am wondering now, is if I deactivate this campaign, will the emails FOR SURE stop going out??
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Rules for changes to the timing of a flow after members are in a campaign

Hi Jason, if you have someone in a wait step and you deactivate the program, they will not be removed, and will continue to go through all remaining flow steps. By the same token, if you have someone in a flow step and you change the length of the flow step, they will exit the flow step when they initially were scheduled to exit -- not your new timing. Any new leads that enter the wait step will be on the new timing.

To stop that email from going out, you'd want to run a flow step against anyone in the program to "Remove from Flow".

One additional thing that I recently learned about flow steps that seems more backward to me, is that if your wait step is the 2nd item in your flow, and you add anything between steps 1 and 2, the wait is now step #3, and upon exiting their current wait step people will go into another wait step.

These are all very important to keep in mind when launching or changing programs!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Jason, if you have someone in a wait step and you deactivate the program, they will not be removed, and will continue to go through all remaining flow steps. By the same token, if you have someone in a flow step and you change the length of the flow step, they will exit the flow step when they initially were scheduled to exit -- not your new timing. Any new leads that enter the wait step will be on the new timing.

To stop that email from going out, you'd want to run a flow step against anyone in the program to "Remove from Flow".

One additional thing that I recently learned about flow steps that seems more backward to me, is that if your wait step is the 2nd item in your flow, and you add anything between steps 1 and 2, the wait is now step #3, and upon exiting their current wait step people will go into another wait step.

These are all very important to keep in mind when launching or changing programs!
Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you deactivate this campaign, leads will continue to complete the flow steps and receive the emails.  The best way to stop them from receiving the email is to create the following batch campaign:

Smart List:
Member of smart campaign is: Campaign A

Flow:
Remove from Flow - Campaign is: Campaign A

This will ensure that they no longer receive any emails in that campaign. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!