Re: RTP - Dialogue Campaign Use

Anonymous
Not applicable

RTP - Dialogue Campaign Use

Would love to hear from other Marketo RTP users implementing dialogue campaigns.

We're using an embedded form in a dialogue campaign and have experienced a lot of difficulty achieving desired results. While we have that fixed now, I'd love to chat with other Marketo RTP users that have used an embedded form. Specifically, did you have to use custom code to:

a. embed your form

b. close your form

c. temporarily have RTP campaign not display again while the Marketo database and RTP database had time to sync?

Bonus points if you have a live campaign you can share the link to! We're fairly new to RTP and just trying to get a better sense on how other companies are using it (especially if it's not for event promotion --or using firmographic data points.)

5 REPLIES 5
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

David Myers​ - do you have any thoughts about this one?

David_Myers
Level 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks David Myers​ and Justin Cooperman​. We've been provided a ton of documentation. I'm really looking for practical examples from Marketo users - but I appreciate your responses.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Melissa, I used RTP at my previous job and was one of the first customers to embed forms into RTP dialogs. The setup at this point is much simpler than it was originally! That said, it's pretty simple to put the code into the HTML section of the RTP campaign. I don't know if they are still using it (it doesn't appear to be on their site), but eMarketer used to use it for several things -- the most effective being a newsletter signup. The dialog was shown upon entry to article pages if the person wasn't already a known subscriber. Since we only had it showing 1x/visit, we didn't have to worry about temporarily hiding the campaign while systems synced. Also, closing the dialog was simple as the visitor could click on the x or anywhere else on the screen and the dialog would disappear. One note, we didn't use it for people visiting from mobile, so I'm not sure what that experience would be like.

Let me know if you have any other questions... I'll do my best to see what I can remember!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dory! I think the trouble with embedding the forms is that there is currently a known bug (that we did not originally know about) that requires additional code to make the form work - we've got that situated for now!

We're also using it for a newsletter signup, but originally had the segment set to "on first click", which showed it on the first click of every new page (not the behavior I expected, I thought it would be first click per visit), which because of the delay in syncing was a problem if someone DID subscribe, but the clicked through another page (and the sync had not happened.) We're using custom code to close the dialog when the form "submit" button is clicked (for those that fill out the form, rather than just "x out".

Thankfully, our campaign is successfully running now, it was just an incredibly bumpy road to get to this point, and there are still some reporting questions we have (we have a call with engineering next week!)

Thanks for the offer to answer additional questions! One thing that I am curious about (I'll ask on my call with Marketo next week, so no big deal if you aren't sure): did you notice that when viewing web campaign impressions and clicks (on a day-by-day basis) that the impressions seemed to not "reset" each night (instead, the number was continuous and just grew with the length that the campaign was live), where the clicks started over each day? Again, not the behavior I expected since they seem to be (maybe?) be measuring differently.

-Melissa