SOLVED

Returning Visitors

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Returning Visitors

How would I set up a smart campaign to track people who came back to our website after previously visiting it? There's no specific time frame, just after the first time, we want to track each subsequent visit.

I have triggers > visits web page > is any, constraint > date of activity > on or after today.

That's not right because I don't want to know today, but after doesn't work either. Does anyone have a solution?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Re: Returning Visitors

Hi Amanda,

You'll want to set to Minimum Number of times constraint to 2.  This will pick up anyone who visits a page mroe than once.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Hi Amanda,

You'll want to set to Minimum Number of times constraint to 2.  This will pick up anyone who visits a page mroe than once.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!
Michael_Bertran
Level 1

How would you ensure this is a returning visitor? Couldn't someone view the same webpage more than 2 times in 1 session? This wouldn't make them a returning visitor in my opinion.

I am looking to set up scoring for returning visitors and I can't seem to find a way to accomplish this since all I have available is visits webpage and not website as a whole.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You're quite right, Michael.

Since Munchkin on its own does not have a concept of a "session," you'd have to build it yourself by using cookies and custom fields to manage the session count.  You could define a session as a new browser session (easiest to code) or a certain number of minutes without a page view (some analytics packages will expire the session after 30 minutes of inactivity, others 15 -- it's usually one hard-coded value that they settle on).

Then, for your interesting pages, you can send a special Munchin visitWebPage event that has the sessionNumber appended to the URL.  You can also post a special event when there's a new session, and have a flow that updates a sessionCount field on the lead; this second component would allow you to track sessions across multiple browsers.

Of course, you will need a savvy JavaScript developer to build this functionality.