REST API to Update Token gives 500 Internal Server if token value too large

Western_Dental
Level 1

REST API to Update Token gives 500 Internal Server if token value too large

Using this REST API http://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/assets/tokens/#create_and_update

REST Details:

-------------------

POST /rest/asset/v1/folder/{{programID}}/tokens.json?access_token={{access_token}}&name=office12&type=script+block&folderType=Program&value= HTTP/1.1

Host: {{mktoServer}}

Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

Accept: application/json

If I replace {{tokenValue}}  with 'xxx' it works fine, but if I keep adding 'x's it will eventually die.   I can successfully create a token of about 7K characters.  But somewhere above that, within nothing changing but the size of the token value,  Marketo  gives a 500 error: 

There is no documented size limits for Tokens.  I have been able to create and use tokens entered throught the UI that are 10 times bigger (70K characters) -- so I think the limit is imposed by the API not by a limit with the token value.

Error

--------------------------

<html>

<head>

<title>500 Internal Server Error</title>

</head>

<body bgcolor="white">

<center>

<h1>500 Internal Server Error</h1>

</center>

<hr>

<center>nginx</center>

</body>

</html>

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: REST API to Update Token gives 500 Internal Server if token value too large

I can set and get a token (VTL type, like in your example) of well over 7K using the API. Just tested with a 100K payload and it's fine.

Suspect your client library is mangling the payload.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: REST API to Update Token gives 500 Internal Server if token value too large

Also, this doesn't have a heckuva lot of inherent meaning:

{{access_token}}&amp;name=office12&amp;type=script+block&amp;folderType=Program&amp;value= HTTP/1.1

You can't be HTML-encoding ampersands in URLs on the wire. So this may be debugging output from your client app but it doesn't reflect (I certainly hope!) what it's sending to Marketo.