Resend emails with different subject lines

Anonymous
Not applicable

Resend emails with different subject lines

I want to set up an email campaign to resend email #1 but with a different subject line 5 days later to non-openers. Right now I have the campaign set up like this:

Send Email: Email #1
Wait: 5 days
Send Email: If not opened email #1 send email #1
          Default choice: Do Nothing
Wait: 20 days
Send Email: Email #2

At the step of ‘if not opened email #1’, is there a way to change the subject line or would I have to clone the email #1 create a new email with the new subject line? 
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Resend emails with different subject lines

When I did this I created 2 versions of the email. V1 had Subject line #1 and V2 had Subject line #2.

In the flow I set it up as:
  • Send Email - V1
  • Wait - 5 days
  • Remove from flow - Opened email "is" V1, then below it will as for the campaign and put that particular campaign in that field. For the "default choice" keep it as do nothing.
  • Send email - V2
It will automatically send and will report both results in the email tab to see how opened and clicks do.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can change the subject line of Email #1 while they are in the 5 day wait step, but a couple of things to consider:
- You will need to manage that manually which leaves room for user error
- I believe the reporting for the blast would combine the two separate email blasts as one line item in the Email tab on the Campaign     which will make things more difficult when evaluating
   - I tried to find my example of this, but could not remember the Program name. I am not 100% sure, but have a strong feeling this is      the case

I agree with Jesse; you should just clone the email, switch the subject line, and treat it like it's own email. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestions Jeff and Jesse. I think I will clone the email and switch the subject line. That will also help with reporting. 
Diego_Lineros2
Level 7

Thats possible using email script Velocity

Something like this

#set ($currentdate = $date.get('yyyy-M-d') )
#set ($sendingdate1 = ('2017-2-27') )
#set ($sendingdate2 = ('2017-3-9') )
#set ($sendingdate3 = ('2017-3-20') )
#set ($sendingdate4 = ('2017-3-30') )
#set ($sendingdate5 = ('2017-4-10') )
#set ($sendingdate6 = ('2017-4-18') )
#if
($currentdate.compareTo($sendingdate1) == 0)
Subject  1 here
#elseif
($currentdate.compareTo($sendingdate2) == 0)
Subject  2 here
#elseif
($currentdate.compareTo($sendingdate3) == 0)
Subject  3here
#elseif
($currentdate.compareTo($sendingdate4) == 0)
Subject one 4 here
#elseif
($currentdate.compareTo($sendingdate5) == 0)
Subject 5 here
#elseif
($currentdate.compareTo($sendingdate6) == 0)
Subject  6 here
#else
Subject default here
#end

Be careful with the follow:

• Month is in single digit, I mean '2017-2-27' not '2017-02-27'. (of course before September)
  • - Time Zone… seems like the server is in CET US time that means -6 UTC  I did test..

• - Don’t try to replace .compareTo with $date.difference (like any sober person would do ) seems like Marketo forgot to install the packages…
Jeroen_Krah
Level 1

You can also create a Program member field 'subjectline', if you are allowed to do that. 

In the flow add the contact in step 1 as program member, then add the step 'change program member data' for the attribute subject line. And as data the subject line. 

In your email add the token in the subject field. 

> {{member.subjectline:default=Buy our latest product!!}}

Now you can change the subjectline on any email (just add the token in the subject field in all your program emails) on any time within the flow. Just by adding the 'change program member data' step.

Why not add a subjectline field in the Person section?

Because now you can switch the subject lines within every program without overwriting the data for another program..

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Interesting idea! Bear in mind PMCFs did not exist when this thread was last updated.

For automatic timing it's gonna be easier to use Velocity. You could also use the 2 in conjunction: use a PMCF only to set the numeric index of the email in the sequence, then set the Subject using Velocity. This would let you have the Subject be based on other factors in addition to the index, and you could tweak it at any time without having to change anyone's PMCF.