SOLVED

Re: Request new campaign as part of a flow step

Go to solution
bjohnson
Level 3

Request new campaign as part of a flow step

If I have a "Request Campaign" step in the middle of a flow of content of a Smart Campaign, do the contacts that qualify for the request campaign exit the flow completely OR proceed to the steps below the Request Campaign?

Ex:

Send email 1

Wait 2 days

Request campaign if didn't click email 1

Wait 5 days

Send email 2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

To answer your question - people will not be removed/stopped from further proceeding in the parent campaign upon encountering and qualifying for the Request Campaign flow step.

Request Campaign flow step is executed in an asynchronous manner - i.e., the campaign would be requested for the people when they come across the Request Campaign flow step, and the parent campaign w/o waiting for the people to complete the execution of flow steps within the child request campaign would proceed with the execution of subsequent/further flow steps (in this case the wait for 5 days flow step). FYR: Execute campaign flow step guarantees the synchronous execution of flow steps (Request Campaign does not).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Darshil_Shah1

To answer your question - people will not be removed/stopped from further proceeding in the parent campaign upon encountering and qualifying for the Request Campaign flow step.

Request Campaign flow step is executed in an asynchronous manner - i.e., the campaign would be requested for the people when they come across the Request Campaign flow step, and the parent campaign w/o waiting for the people to complete the execution of flow steps within the child request campaign would proceed with the execution of subsequent/further flow steps (in this case the wait for 5 days flow step). FYR: Execute campaign flow step guarantees the synchronous execution of flow steps (Request Campaign does not).

bjohnson
Level 3

Thank you @Darshil_Shah1! Super helpful.

DR
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure I understand your answer.  Can you clarify the below if the steps are in this order:

1.  Request Campaign then

2.  Remove from Flow

Do the people that qualify for 'Request Campaign' get removed from the flow?

Darshil_Shah1

Nope, neither people get removed from the flow nor do they get paused from proceeding to the further flow steps in the parent campaign. The campaign requests the specified campaign and w/o waiting for the requested campaign to finish processing; it starts processing the further flow steps (i.e., asynchronous execution) for the person. I hope this helps in clarifying your doubt! Let us know if you have any further questions. 🙂

bjohnson
Level 3

Hi @DR!

So, with those flow steps, I do believe that the contact would be removed from the flow since "Remove From Flow" is used. If Remove From Flow was not a step, then the only way the contact would be removed is if the campaign that was being requested was an "Executable" campaign.  More about that here.

Even with Executable campaigns, the contact would pick back up in the original campaign after the Executable campaign has been completed. Does that make sense?

@Darshil_Shah1, did I explain that right?

Darshil_Shah1

Yes, when a person encounters a "Remove from Flow" step, they'd get removed from the campaign, even if the campaign does or does not have a "Request Campaign" flow step before.

Also, w.r.t. to Executable campaign, using the Removed term while the child executable campaign is being processed may not be most accurate as the person is not technically removed from the parent campaign, rather the parent campaign waits for the child executable campaign to finish processing the flow before proceeding to the further flow steps (synchronous processing). Of course, if the parent campaign has the "Remove from Flow" flow step, the person would be removed from the campaign.

bjohnson
Level 3

Thank you for clarifying!