SOLVED

Re: Request campaign API call - why does a overridden text token not work in a 'Change Data Value' flow step?

Go to solution
Stephen_Baker2
Level 2

Request campaign API call - why does a overridden text token not work in a 'Change Data Value' flow step?

Hi there,

We are overriding a text token in a smart campaign via web service API. e.g. text token {{my.variable}}

In the flow step, we use 'Change Data Value' to set a custom Marketo Field to the overridden token, so we can use that token in a velocity script in the email we send.

It works about half of the time, and does not work the other half. We cannot figure out why.

Have attempted wait steps before data value change, after data value change, spaced out all flow steps a minute or two, etc. It continues to work some of the time, and not work other times.

Lead activity shows that the data field change is not made for leads where it does not work.

Any insight appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Request campaign API call - why does a overridden text token not work in a 'Change Data Value' flow step?

Look more closely at the Activity Log details for these CDVs. I think you'll find it never actually works (your testing process has led you to mistakenly think it sporadically works).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Iryna_Zhuravel4
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

I was working with developers on something similar a few years back and we ran into the same problem, where some leads just won't run through the smart campaign flow. The solution in our case was very simple, we forgot to change smart campaign qualification rules from "Each person can run through the flow once" to "can run through the flow every time"  

Screenshot at Jul 18 19-17-05.png

Stephen_Baker2
Level 2

Thank you for the response.

I should clarify that the change data value is not working for individual leads, it is not a problem of updating for the same lead running through the flow a second time.

And because it is a triggered transactional message for external leads, it is currently already set to run every time.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Look more closely at the Activity Log details for these CDVs. I think you'll find it never actually works (your testing process has led you to mistakenly think it sporadically works).