Reports only show leads 'created at' and not 'existing leads' activity'

BG-JTJ
Level 1

Reports only show leads 'created at' and not 'existing leads' activity'

Hi,

I have a problem with reporting/tracking e.g. a form fill:

If I create a regular SmartList to show how many filled out a form, I get X amount of leads. If I then create a People Performance report and make an identical smart list in the report, I get a different result.

I am suspecting that it is because the report is only filtering on 'Person created at' under settings while the regular SmartList is filtering on 'activity' i.e. both new leads/contacts created and existing leads/contacts filling out the form.

Can someone confirm or deny and if so - how do you get a report to show activity and not just leads created?

10 REPLIES 10
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Reports only show leads 'created at' and not 'existing leads' activity'

Well, a smart list filter queries people on the basis of the respective activity, and even though the report looks for the person created date in the setup, it's evident that all people would have a "Person is Created" activity in the log (even though they may or not have the filled out form activity and irrespective of them being a new or existing person when they filled out the form).

You should check if the timeframe matches in both assets. Check whether you have any timeframe added in the "Person Created At" option in the report's setup tab. You should either set it to "All time" or add a "Person was Created" filter with the same timeframe in the smart list as well.

BG-JTJ
Level 1

Thank you for replying!

The time option in the report is set to 'all time' and the regular SmartList has no time restraint. So the results should be comparable. 

Yes, all contacts will eventually be created, but a form fill will not necessarily be the activity that trigger creation.

But that is what I am deducing from this report and SmartList comparison: The regular Smart list shows all activities where the filter applies, so I get more results, whereas the report only show me the people who were created by filling out the form. So existing contacts who has downloaded something will still have filled out the form (activity) but will not have been created by it. 

And I am wondering is you can build a report where this 'Person is created' restraint is not applicable.  

Darshil_Shah1

Thank you for confirming that the timeframe matches for both the assets. AFAICT, the People Performance report does not natively show only people who were created from a particular source (even though you include a filled-out form filter in its smart list, people who were created from non-fill sources should also be included). There's no mention of such on the documentation and I verified it in my instance as well. Unless you add Person was created filer in the report's SL and set the Source Type constraint, you should see all the people in the report. Are you able to share the snap of your SL, report setup, and report's SL so we could have a look?

BG-JTJ
Level 1

Sure, here is the setup:

SmartList = 9 results

BGJTJ_0-1677837983469.png

Report = 3 results

BGJTJ_1-1677838022726.png

BGJTJ_2-1677838040326.png

These filters corresponds to form fills from an external pop-up tool that is then being transferred to Marketo via API integration. But then conundrum is, the smart lists are identical (at least to my eye) but still displaying two different results...   The only difference I can see is the 'Person created at' restriction under Reports, but maybe I am taking that phrase too literal as you say that it should not equal 'person created from activity you are reporting on'. 

Thank you for your help.

MMundra1
Level 3

⚠️ Edited by moderator for accuracy.

HI @BG-JTJ , Can you just give a try by applying "and" logic before "or" when entering rule logic and check the results ?

As per the Marketo documentation, we must use "and" before "or" when entering advanced filters rule logic. EDIT: the documentation is incorrect, this isn't a requirement.

Mahak Mundra
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The only difference I can see is the 'Person created at' restriction under Reports, but maybe I am taking that phrase too literal as you say that it should not equal 'person created from activity you are reporting on'.

I’m not sure you’re taking it literally, as it literally refers to the Created At field.

It doesn’t mean “created by or from [some activity]”.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Can you show the Report (i.e. results) tab please?

BG-JTJ
Level 1

Yes, this is the report tab (2 new results have come over the weekend, but that same two are reflected in the regular SmartList, so it is still imbalanced).

BGJTJ_0-1678090959965.png

Darshil_Shah1

This may sound silly, but could you verify whether you see the same people as in the stand-alone smart list asset SL by clicking the "View Qualified Members" in the Report's SL tab? Also - I hope both the assets live in the same workspace (or at least live in the WSes mapped with the same person partitions).

Darshil_Shah1_0-1678091643681.png