Re: Repeat Engagement Program or Loop Content

Jason_Williams
Level 1

Repeat Engagement Program or Loop Content

Thank you for any pointers you could give me... We have an engagement program that sends daily emails similar to a 'Tip of the Day' type of product. We have limited content (90 days worth) so we would like to loop the email content because some subscribers have been subscribed for over a year. Currently, since engagement programs, by design, won't send emails that have been sent before (based on email ID alone, I believe), we clone emails and create separate streams, and move those with exhausted content over to the new stream. This we do every 90 days and would like to avoid this duplication if possible. My understanding is that removing someone from an engagement program and re-adding them will not reset their email sent history, so to speak. So is there a better way to loop content? Or is there a way to allow for repeat content?

2 REPLIES 2
Michael_Florin
Level 10

(based on email ID alone, I believe)...

Depends on your setup. If your Engagement Program's content is not emails, but Programs/Smart Campaigns, the Engagement Program would skip any person that is already a member of that program that contains the email. So not even a new email ID would help.

Overall, an interesting question. Yes, you're right, by design Engagement Program are not supposed to repeat an email send. And for good reason, as this is commonly not being considered a good idea. Does this concept work for you? Are people more inclined to open/click/engage if they receive the same email a second time?

That's what I'd recommend to do: Clone your Engagement Program for a repeat cycle, make sure people can receive these emails again and monitor the result. Does it even work? Only then think about making it more automatic.

Jason_Williams
Level 1

Thank you for your help. The cloning does work. Emails are our only content… and I think since the cloned emails have different email IDs that it treats it as a new, unsent email. To simplify unsubscribes, instead of cloning the entire engagement program, we cloned the emails and put them in a separate stream in the same engagement program and transition those that complete a cycle/stream to the next stream. This requires a lot of duplication or deciding to drop subscribers after x number of cycles, which is probably what we'll have to do. If we did that, I assume if they resubscribe, they will go straight to exhausted content status?

Since it is a daily email, most people don’t notice/open every email so we do see some engagement when it comes around the second and third time etc.

In my ideal world, there would be a flow action that cleared the send history for the emails in that program so they could start the stream over. Food for thought.