SOLVED

Remove custom sync from Marketo - Dynamics integration

Go to solution
liamds1988
Level 1

Remove custom sync from Marketo - Dynamics integration

Hi all,

We currently have the custom sync filter setup for Marketo --> Dynamics integration (as documented  here https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/crm-sync/microsoft-dynamics/custo... )

This has been in effect for a number of years but we are now wanting to sync all records across to Marketo as new requirements have come in to play and the data is required.

I just want to know a few things first:

• What happens when we remove the custom sync rule and field? Will this remove any data from Marketo e.g. activity log
  • Is there a best practice to follow?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Amanda_Reilly3
Level 3

Re: Remove custom sync from Marketo - Dynamics integration

While I don't have Dynamics experience, I think one of the issues you'll run into is duplicate records. From my experience with SFDC, no data would be removed from records, but if the IDs don't match then duplication would be the default expectation. 

Amanda Reilly
Marketing Operations Consultant at Etumos

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

I don't think removing the custom sync filter would delete activity logs/people from your database. The custom sync filter is just an additional layer/measure using which you can selectively choose to sync records between Marketo and your CRM (here MSD). As a rule of thumb, records would sync over to Marketo as soon as there's any update logged on them. Instead of removing the custom sync filter altogether from your setup right off the bat, I'd recommend you to sunset the workflow that sets the SyncToMkto field to No and set the default value of the field to Yes in case you have it No as of now, then set the "SyncToMkto" field to Yes for all the records in MSD so they sync over to Marketo, and once that's done you could remove the SyncToMkto filter from your Marketo as a synced field and ultimately from the CRM too. This exercise would ensure that an update is made on the MSD records when you update the "SyncToMkto" to No so they could sync over to the Marketo.

Amanda_Reilly3
Level 3

While I don't have Dynamics experience, I think one of the issues you'll run into is duplicate records. From my experience with SFDC, no data would be removed from records, but if the IDs don't match then duplication would be the default expectation. 

Amanda Reilly
Marketing Operations Consultant at Etumos
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Agreed! Unsynced records in one system won't associate and sync with the records in the other system, even if the other system already has a record with the same email address. If you have a lot of disparities between platforms, which could potentially create duplicate records, then you'll also want to think about the merging strategy before proceeding.