Redirect rule for email link not being recognized

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Redirect rule for email link not being recognized

We sent an email with link www.domain.com/page1/page2. The page2 is old, so when this URL is typed into a browser, you get redirected to www.domain.com/page1. However, when www.domain.com/page1/page2 is inserted as a link into a Marketo email, then when you click the link you do not get redirected. Instead, you arrive on a www.domain.com 404 error page.

I understand that the solution is simply to not link to an old/inactive page in your emails, but I'm curious why this would be happening? Does Marketo not recognize our server's redirect rules?

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Redirect rule for email link not being recognized

What are the real URLs? We're all friends here. There shouldn't be any difference between paste-and-go in your browser and embedding the URL in a Mkto email. Yes, the Mkto link bounces off the clicking tracking domain, but this almost never causes a problem with a basic URL like you describe.

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Re: Redirect rule for email link not being recognized

Yeah, no worries. The link in the email was www.landesk.com/support/programs. It cuts off programs when put in a browser, going to the main support page. But I found that if you put the full link into a Marketo email, then rather it redirecting to the main support page when clicked, it just shows a landesk 404 error page. I tested it again with another page on the site that is known to redirect, and it did the same thing...no redirect, just an error.