SOLVED

Quotation marks inserted in the sender name when using a token

Go to solution
juleary324
Level 1

Quotation marks inserted in the sender name when using a token

Hello, 

I have noticed when using a custom database token, in the preview in Marketo, quotation marks are inserted. When I go to create a draft there is no option to remove quotation marks. However, when I send a test to my inbox, the quotation marks disappear. 

Has anyone noticed this before? Are the quotation marks just to let the marketo user know that the sender is a token and therefore dynamic? I just want to ensure this won't hit a user's inbox with quotation marks. 

Thanks.

screenshot_2024-03-11_at_12.10.07_pm_720.pngscreenshot_2024-03-11_at_12.10.41_pm_720.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Quotation marks inserted in the sender name when using a token

First, to use the correct terminology (since it matters wrt which SMTP standard is used) that’s not the “sender name”. It’s the From: display-name.

Any From: display-name that contains a period must be quoted per the SMTP spec (RFC 5322).  And a display-name may be quoted in any case, even when it’s not required.

Most mail clients will hide the surrounding quotation marks when displaying the email, although they are still sent to the recipient.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Quotation marks inserted in the sender name when using a token

First, to use the correct terminology (since it matters wrt which SMTP standard is used) that’s not the “sender name”. It’s the From: display-name.

Any From: display-name that contains a period must be quoted per the SMTP spec (RFC 5322).  And a display-name may be quoted in any case, even when it’s not required.

Most mail clients will hide the surrounding quotation marks when displaying the email, although they are still sent to the recipient.