SOLVED

Re: "No Follow" on Landing Pages?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

"No Follow" on Landing Pages?

I was considering posting in Moz, but I thought I'd first go to Marketo since it is closer in my heart ;).  

We are doing some housekeeping as we look at new landing pages. The default in Marketo is “Index, No Follow.”   

We’re going to have our temporary email and paid media campaign landing pages to be set to “No Index”  because we don’t want them to be considered duplicate content of more permanent website/learning center which contain the same assets and similar copy.

What is the best approach with "No Follow?"  

Will "no follow" on landing pages allow search engines to crawl the confirmation page?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

no follow stops the bot from following any link or form on the page, so yes the bot won't see the TY page.

If you want to avoid duplicate content you can also use Canonical on the original page.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

no follow stops the bot from following any link or form on the page, so yes the bot won't see the TY page.

If you want to avoid duplicate content you can also use Canonical on the original page.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Josh's points.  I'll also throw out that I used to work for a SEO agency and would often hear that content on subdomains had very little SEO impact one way or the other on the main site's various page ranks.  We used Marketo at that company as well and never really worried about the indexing/follow settings as they pertained to our landing pages.

I'm not necessarily saying that's the best way to go about it, but it's probably worth considering whether it's worth the time/effort versus the payoff
Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh and Nate, thank you both for your perspectives!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kevin,

You typically don't need to nofollow landing pages, as they aren't linked into your site. Bots can only index by following a site's navigation. So if the only way to get to your landing page is through a link from an email or ad, or through an action (like a thank you page through filling out a form) you don't have to worry about your page getting indexed.

-Brendon

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kevin O'Neill​ If any of these answers were helpful, please click "Helpful - Yes' and/or Correct Answer