Re: "List Limit Exceeded" message when adding email addresses

Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

"List Limit Exceeded" message when adding email addresses

I have done this before and i can usually copy/paste 2k email addresses into the email address filter, but for some reason i am only able to add 1808 email addresses.  I thought maybe it was due to some hidden characters, but i cant be sure if that is what is causing this.

Why can i not copy and paste 2k email addresses in this smart campaign filter?

13 REPLIES 13
Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Carrie,

2,000 email addresses listed out inside of one filter is a lot and will likely cause you problems. I'd break the list up into multiple filters with smaller numbers in each one, then set the filter logic to "Any" so that it still catches all of them.

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Carrie,

Another good option would be to add the leads into a static list, then just use a "Member of List" filter wherever you need to reference them.

Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

this has never been a problem as i have used it many, many times to try to do an email match to see how many of these leads are currently in the system.  Like a preliminary search if you will.  I dont want to import this list, but instead see how many already exist in the database.

I have a little over 12k leads i want to look up and breaking them out in smaller amounts is pretty time consuming, but i guess doing a search like this is time consuming in itself.  The reason i am hesitant is that these lists usually create a lot of errors and then i have to delete the whole import.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The limit is 2,499.

I do not know why you are having a problem with less than that, but it could be because of commas or "fake" characters from your sheet. Try copying and pasting into a text editor or Paste as Plain Text.

Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

i have pasted into Notepad, but i didnt see any hidden characters.  I tried to remove hidden characters in excel, but it start stripping away the email address itself.  Every time i get this file it is weird and it imports awful to where i see the characters, then the clean up is horrendous.

I will try your suggestions Josh, thanks.

Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

a coworker uses sublime and took a look at the email addresses.  He didnt see any spaces or hidden characters.  I imported about 5k of the records and i am not seeing the normal issues in the record that i had seen previously, but i am still unable to search for more than 1800 email addresses at a time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Carrie Lawson​ did you ever get an answer on this from support? I'm curious as to why the limit is 2499 but it only works sometimes.

Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

No, i never received any resolution for this. So i just kind of go with what Marketo allows at the moment i need to use the function, but I now try not to use the email search filter as much as possible.

Melanie_Arnold
Level 2

We seem to hit limits somewhere between 2000 and 2100 (it's inconsistent) but when I try to add 2499 I consistently get the limit warning.