Questions on Configuring Lead Scoring

Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions on Configuring Lead Scoring

Hello! My company is in the process of implementing lead scoring in Marketo. I've been reading several articles and discussions, and have some questions about score fields. The plan is to create two custom SFDC formula fields, "Lead Score Stars" and "Lead Score Flames" in Salesforce, synce them to Marketo and feed them into Sales Insight. The outstanding questions are:

1) Can an integer field from Salesforce (e.g. Lead Score Stars and Lead Score Flames) be synced to Marketo, AND then have the field type in Marketo change from “Number” to “Score” without error? From this discussion, it seems to be possible, but I haven't tested this - by creating a SFDC field, syncing it, and changing its type - or found corroborating documentation.

2) Do the SFDC formulas for Lead Score Stars and Leads Score Flames need to have an “else” case that explicitly assigns the field a value of “0”, even if the field’s default is set up to be “0” and, perhaps, even if the sum is “0”? See this discussion  - 2nd to last comment and last comment - for why the question is being raised.

Any help/experience/links to further reading is appreciated!

Keep it classy, Marketo peers:)

Liz
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions on Configuring Lead Scoring

Can you give a bit more color around why you are doing it this way? If you are passing an SFDC value it could have just stayed in SFDC.

The beauty of Insights is that it helps show the relative value compared to other leads and can be based off of the information from Marketo activity.

We deployed Insights but tweaked our approach, we used flames to represent activity off of the master lead score (we have MQL scores that reset so we use Lead Score as a lifetime value) then we created a custom scoring field that is a demographic score that is associated to the stars. Team members add score for demographic characteristics that they like so they have a sense now of it is the right match and are they showing interest.

https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KzdR&src=univ
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Liz,

Why do you want to create these two fields? Marketo will do this automatically for you with Sales Insight.

Are you trying to expose the Stars/Flame values to SFDC?

From the discussions you referenced, what you want to do is create two fields:

Demographic Score
Behavioral Score

These actually exist in Marketo already as Lead Score and Behavioral Score. I'd test it out to see if the Integer field can then be used as a Score field in Marketo. Create those in SFDC first.

If it works, then you can use those fields in the Change Score flow.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was never a fan of the flames and stars that Marketo created. I also thought the flames and stars remind me of a bootleg Pokemon card.

After you create the two custom demographic and behavior score. Don't forget to keep the demographic score when the behavior score is 0. What you can do is use a token field to populate the lead score.

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 11.31.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-08 at 11.36.12 PM.png