Re: Question about nesting programs outside of engagement programs

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Question about nesting programs outside of engagement programs

I remember reading on here that it's best practice to have programs nested outside of an Engagement Program, in case you might want to use that program/content for another engagement program simultaneously or in the future.

My problem is, we use tokens to capture UTM parameters. For example, the UTM_campaign parameter is being captured by a token text value of "nurture-marketing". This is fine if that program is only being added to one engagement program, but what happens if I want to add this program to a new engagement program - how do I adjust the token value to properly reflect whichever engagement program the piece of content is being sent through?

I hope that makes sense

Example:

Program 1 is added to Engagement Program A and Engagement Program B.

Program 1 has a token to capture UTM_campaign, which happens to be engagement_program_a. But now, Program 1 is being added to Engagement Program B, but Engagement Program A is still running. However, Program 1 still has "engagement_program_a" set as the utm_campaign token, so that's what will show even if it's coming from Engagement B.

Typically, in a hierarchy system, the program would inherit the top program's tokens, but since these programs are being nested outside of an Engagement Program, they aren't following that same system.

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

In this situation I would put the UTMs as folder tokens and all of the Asset Programs and Nurture (Send) programs below that. Each Folder can have a Default UTM Token Value while the Engagements would have a token value to override.

You can also keep the programs in separate folders, however, you would need the exact same Token names for that to work.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Thanks Josh.

So would it go something like this?

>Main Folder (with default UTM tokens)

>> Asset Folder (includes all asset programs)

>>> Nurture Folder (includes all engagement programs)

And in the above set up, if I add a program from the Asset Folder into an engagement folder below it, are you saying that the program should inherit the tokens from the engagement program?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Malik,

Yes this is it. And you can always override the token value for a program.

-Greg

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

hey, I still don't think I'm getting it.

My problem is, using these tokens to automate UTM parameters, what happens if I then add the program to a new engagement program? As of right now, it's not going to update the tokens because the program isn't moving to a new folder. Also, what happens if one program is being used in two different engagement programs, how can I make it so the program uses the engagement program tokens and not the tokens of the folder it's nested under.

hope that makes sense

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Malik,

In both cases, you are right, the UTM will be set by the nested program, not by the engagement program.

The way we do this is that we set up UTMs with variables a email level. In these variables, you have either enter a program / folder token. In your case, we would create an email in the nested program but the the UTMs, we would enter some engagement program specific values.

-Greg

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

"The way we do this is that we set up UTMs with variables a email level."

Can you expand on this? Or do you have a screenshot of your setup for clarification purposes?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Malik,

The way it is described here: Marketo Hack: Automatically add utm parameters to (all) Marketo emails

It takes some work on the template to introduce the variables.

-Greg

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Thank you!!!