Re: Question about adding an 'editible section' to an HTML email template.

Chris_Morris1
Level 4

Question about adding an 'editible section' to an HTML email template.

I received an error when trying to approve an email template. The information in the linked article helped me fix the issue, I simply stripped out the content and added the code to my HTML template and I was able to approve the template.

Can someone explain to me why this was required? Do I simply have to have this code included in future emails, or will they each actually need a unique id? I have not had this issue before, we've been using the platform for almost a year.

Add Editable Sections to an Email Template - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

3 REPLIES 3
Scott_Daily
Level 3

Hi Chris - I'm hoping I understand your question correctly!

We actively use editable sections for each of our email templates too. The unique ID is very important and if any two sections have the same ID, you will be unable to approve the email. If your approval fails, the details should tell you which line of code and which ID is duplicated.

Chris_Morris1
Level 4

Thank you! Just so I understand, I can have a 'unique' ID of '1' in email a, and a 'unique' ID of '1' in email b, and the tracking or performance of emails a and b will not be affected by the duplicate 'unique' ID's, is that right?

Thanks again!

Chris

Scott_Daily
Level 3

Yep! - unique IDs need to be unique within an email, but can be duplicated in other emails. For our email templates, each editable section has a unique ID, but every time we create an email from that template it uses all of those pre-defined IDs.

To my knowledge, this shouldn't have anything to do with tracking, just allows you to define areas to easily edit in the email editor.

Scott