SOLVED

Query parameters not correct

Go to solution
James_Zolinski
Level 4

Query parameters not correct

We are using contact forms on our website, social media and Google Adwords, and when people fill these forms out we receive an alert email to contact them. The problem is, on the alert email, the Lead Source and Source Detail are not populating, or populating correctly so we are unable to tell where these leads came from without checking the activity log.

The form on our website is a marketo form, but it is not hosted on the page but rather an external pop-up form, if I understand correctly from reading other posts on this, Marketo is unable to track these utm's since the form they are on is not technically hosted on a marketo LP, correct? Our website is hosted on wordpress, is it possible to set this form up on wordpress to track Lead Source and Source Detail?

As for the Google Adwords and social media, when looking at the activity log for these leads, I click on the web page they visited and the form they filled out and the query parameters are missing our utm's, but instead, it looks like a specific Google tracking code has been entered as the query parameter rather than our utm's. Does that sound correct? Is there a way to update the query parameters so they track Lead Source and Source Detail correctly?

One of the forms we are using does include the Lead Source and Source Detail on the alert email and when I look at this form in the leads activity log, the query parameters for this form do include our utm's.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Query parameters not correct

Sure, if you have hidden fields filling from current URL params and those params aren't there, those fields will be blank (or will use the default value from Form Editor, though I find that option confusing and rarely use it).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

The form on our website is a marketo form, but it is not hosted on the page but rather an external pop-up form, if I understand correctly from reading other posts on this, Marketo is unable to track these utm's since the form they are on is not technically hosted on a marketo LP, correct?

No, that's not correct. Embedded Marketo forms fully support populating hidden fields from UTM parameters.

You'll have to provide more information about how you're populating hidden fields, i.e. the setup in Form Editor.

James_Zolinski
Level 4

Thanks Sanford,

That is good to know we don't need to go through Wordpress to track Lead Source and Source Detail on the form on our website. I've attached a screen shot of the form in question in editor. It looks like the utm's are there. I've also include a screenshot from the activity log showing the utm's and the empty query parameters.

One of the differences I see when looking at both screens is, in the form editor, it says  utm medium LT, utm source LT, but the activity details screen shows lead_utmmediumLT, lead_utmsourceLT. Being fairly new to Marketo, I'm not sure if the lack of "lead" in the form would cause Lead Source and Source Detail not to populate in our alert email.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

SanfordWhiteman

The fields in the detail are the true form (and SOAP API) field names. They don't necessarily match the friendly names of the fields you see in Form Editor, but they are the same fields.

You haven't shown the web page with the utm_* params in the URL in your screenshot.

James_Zolinski
Level 4

I think I may have figured out the problem. I don't see the utm's in the url. When I hover over the button to fill out the form, the url at the bottom left does not show any utm's. Also, when I view the page source or inspect the form, I don't see any of the utm's. So if what I'm seeing is correct, this form is not tracking because the utm's have not been added to the form or page?

contact.JPG

SanfordWhiteman

That's right.

James_Zolinski
Level 4

Would the missing url's be the same reason for our social media and Google Adwords forms not tracking correctly?

SanfordWhiteman

Sure, if you have hidden fields filling from current URL params and those params aren't there, those fields will be blank (or will use the default value from Form Editor, though I find that option confusing and rarely use it).