Re: Programmatic Ad Form Fills Not Tracking

Tiffany_Thomas
Level 2

Programmatic Ad Form Fills Not Tracking

We recently started a test campaign with a programmatic ad agency. I set up all of the programs with the fills out form trigger including the web page and querystring constraints. Our test leads run through the programs perfectly, but no actual leads are triggering the campaigns. We've triple checked the urls and there don't seem to be any issues. We're also seeing goal completions on the pages with the correct utms in Google Analytics. Has anyone experienced issues with tracking programmatic ad campaigns or seeing goal completions with utms in Google Analytics that don't come through to Marketo?

pastedImage_0.png

Also, when I run a smart list looking for any form fills on any page, at any time with the programmatic ad utm we're using, I don't see anything except for our test leads.

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Also, when I run a smart list looking for any form fills on any page, at any time with the programmatic ad utm we're using, I don't see anything except for our test leads.

Constrain by a string match on the Referrer, not on the Web Page + Query String.

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

Any thoughts as to why that is necessary? I can see the referrer being necessary if it was a 'Visits web page' on the thank-you/goal page.. ?

SanfordWhiteman

The Referrer of a Filled Out Form activity is for an embedded form is the page hosting the form, not the page prior to that (the form behaves as if it were in an iframe, even though it's not).

Tiffany_Thomas
Level 2

Thanks for your feedback, Sanford! I've setup some of the campaigns with your suggestion to test. I'll be sure to mark your response as the answer, if this fixes the issue.

I've always setup my Fills out Form triggers with web page and query string constraints and never experienced any issues like this. Is it best practice to always use the referrer rather than web page and query string?

SanfordWhiteman

For embedded forms, yes, it's always been best practice.