SOLVED

Re: Program Cost in Report

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Program Cost in Report

I have put together a Program Performance report for all of our Field Marketing events. This information is the most important but we like the fact that there is cost information included in the main report too, with the optional filter of adding a Period Cost.

I want to use that so I added a Period Cost to each program (cost is based on the month that the event occurs in), and then added the filter. The report filtering for Program Cost allows me to select a date range, so I thought I would cover our entire financial year - the problem with this is that Marketo then looks for a period cost that matches that range. Because I had set them to be single months, the report was wiping out.

I initially thought I could solve this by updating the report each month to showcase the events IN that month, but that means we miss out on all the other Field Marketing data that occurs outside of the reporting month.

Then I noticed that you can have multiple Period Costs per program, and so created a workaround that split a single Period Cost over the course of the current quarter (for us, that's May, June, July as we are a month off the calendar year) - when I set the Period Cost filter on the report to be those same three months (our Q2), the event I tested with gets pulled into the report. Yay!

However this is all rather fussy - I was wondering if there is another report option that can include Program Performance and Cost Data without having to get so complicated with the Period Costs? Or is this simply a limitation of the way that Period Costs are set up in Marketo?

I am currently playing with a couple of reports in RCA (Program Cost Analysis and Program Membership Analysis) and while it looks like these would give all the information I am looking for, they are still two separate reports - would love to have cost and performance (Invited, RSVP, Attended, No Show) all together in one report.

If that's not possible, it's a choice between two reports or my Period Cost workaround!

Michelle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Michelle,

the best way to do what you want is to add a tag to the programs (admin->Tags) and set the possible tags to the reporting periods you want. e.g:

• if you want to be able to select on an annual basis: FY15, FY16, FY17, ...
  • if you want to be able to select on an quarterly basis: FY15Q1, FY15Q2, FY15Q3, FY15Q4, FY16Q1, ...
  • if you want to be able to select on an monthly basis: FY15-01, FY15-02, FY15-03 ...

And make the tag mandatory to all programs.

Then, in the program performance report, you will be abel to filter on this tag to include exactly those that you want.

-Greg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Michelle,

the best way to do what you want is to add a tag to the programs (admin->Tags) and set the possible tags to the reporting periods you want. e.g:

• if you want to be able to select on an annual basis: FY15, FY16, FY17, ...
  • if you want to be able to select on an quarterly basis: FY15Q1, FY15Q2, FY15Q3, FY15Q4, FY16Q1, ...
  • if you want to be able to select on an monthly basis: FY15-01, FY15-02, FY15-03 ...

And make the tag mandatory to all programs.

Then, in the program performance report, you will be abel to filter on this tag to include exactly those that you want.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh interesting - I will have to give this a try as I wasn't aware you could use tags like that!

We will have to determine how we want to report and then set those accordingly.

Thanks for the always insightful information

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Michelle,

In fact this is one the main purposes of program tags: report filtering.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

What exactly is the question you want to answer with the report?

Yes, it's annoying that Program Cost data is only on the PC report instead of also on the PM or PO reports. But the PO report should give you alot of ROI information that could be matched up with the PC report or just a manual data step in excel.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Josh,

We are looking to provide information about the success of our field marketing efforts - this is an entirely new role in our marketing team and there is much more of an effort (and resulting budget) being spent on events and activities to help our sales team on the ground.

I have no doubt that I can get all the information in a few places - was just hoping to consolidate it easily so that our marketing team doesn't have to go hunting.

You mentioned a PO report - which is that? Program Opportunity?