Re: Problem with Lead.First Name Token in an email Preheader

Carl_Delafonta2
Level 3

Problem with Lead.First Name Token in an email Preheader

Hello,

I am recently having some issues with the Lead.First Name Token when using it in an email preheader. I am using the token as follow :

Hello {{lead.First Name:default=}}

The token is used in both the preheader and in the body of the email. In the email preheader, I saw some cases where the first name is not the right one while it appeared correctly in the body of the email. Sometime, the first name appeared correctly in both the preheader and in the body of the email. This is a bit confusing because I am using the token the same way in both the preheader and in the body.

Here is an example that I saw this week. The lead first name in Marketo is : ''Jean-Charles''. Here is what he received :

Email's Preheader

hello-bj.png

Email's Body text

hello-JC.png

This is really frustrating to see that some leads are receving en email and it says ''Hello Bj'' in the preheader... I have open a case with Marketo for this issue and they weren't able to reproduce it. However, it has happened a few times so far. Has this issue happened to anyone before ? If someone has an idea as of why this is happening, feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Carl

33 REPLIES 33
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Carl,

The reason why you had no answer to your question yet is because you posted it in the wrong place. Community Help and Feedback is for suggestions and questions about the community site. You should move it to Products

How is you preheader set? Are you using Marketo built-in feature in email 2.0 or are you using a custom one in your template?

-Greg

Carl_Delafonta2
Level 3

Hi Michel,

Thank you for your response. I didn't know about this. I just moved it to the products section.

My preheader is set using Marketo build-in feature in email 2.0. I still haven't figured out why the issue is happening once in a while. Do you have any ideas ?

Thank you!

Carl

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's specifically the two letters "Bj"? Does that first name belong to anyone else in your database? Can you post the full HTML (please use syntax highlighting) of the preheader?

Carl_Delafonta2
Level 3

Hi Sanford,

In my exemple, it was ''bj'' but the name changes once in a while. I had the issue with other first names as well. But yes, all the first names that I have seen so far where from leads in our database.

The issue is not happening for just one email but many emails that we are sending. I have seen cases in nurture programs and email send programs. I'm using Marketo build-in feature in email 2.0 for the email preheader. Here is an example :

Nurture-email.png

Thank you!

Carl

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Iit's certainly very disturbing to have lead record details mixed together.

At least -- I suppose -- the fact that you're seeing this using the built-in feature, which is to some degree outside the usual email assembly, might make engineers do a double-check if you can get their attention. Just grasping at straws here, but to make sure the code doesn't have a bug with, say, two array indices being out of whack (viz. it's at lead #39 in one list and #38 in the other).

Are the bad names also in the same send?

Carl_Delafonta2
Level 3

Hi Sanford,

I have seen some cases where the wrong lead first name was part of the email send, but also some cases where the wrong first name was not part of the email send. However, in all cases, the wrong lead first name was from a lead in our database.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Justin Cooperman​,

I suppose this one is for you

And is the use of tokens here supported by Marketo?

-Greg

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Tokens aren't supported in the WYSIWYG preheader. It will work if you use your own custom one that is part of your template.

Justin

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Justin,

Thx, I was suspecting something like that

-Greg