Re: Previewing tokenized URL for specific user

Anonymous
Not applicable

Previewing tokenized URL for specific user

Is there a way to generate a preview of a tokenized link to a specific lead?

We have an email that features a tokenized URL and are trying to track down that specific URL for one specific lead. Each time I send a preview with the lead listed, the regular tokens populate, but the URL gets omitted.

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

"Tokenized" is a bit vague here.

But you should always use a real email (not sample) if you want to thoroughly test personalized content (Velocity tokens in particular).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Sanford. Some more background info: We sent a reset password email to a customer, which was delivered, but somehow never made it to their inbox. The email included a token/personalized link, which we're trying to recreate to reset the password. Is there any way to preview her specific, personalized link?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You may still be mixing together the concept of a token as in an object property token -- {{lead.}}, {{company.}} {{program.}}, {{campaign.}}, and {{my.tokens}} -- and the fact that Marketo rewrites tracked links to include the mkt_tok query param (a.k.a. Marketo tracking token).

You can have a link that contains an {{object.token}}, like http​://www.example.com/lp?utm_campaign={{my.utm campaign}}. When personalized to include mkt_tok, this link could be referred to as "tokenized," without it being clear which definition you're using!

Of course the confusion is not your fault -- if we could go back in time I think mkt_tok should have a different name.

But I do digress. The answer to your question is no, you can't recreate a user's unique personalized URL unless you change their email temporarily to yours and send yourself the email. Tracking URLs are specific to lead + email + campaign, and the algorithm to create one is not exposed to users.