Re: Prevent Personal / ISP/ Free Emails (gmail,comcast,aol,hotmail) in email field

Anonymous
Not applicable

Prevent Personal / ISP/ Free Emails (gmail,comcast,aol,hotmail) in email field

Hello,

I read this article: http://developers.marketo.com/blog/restrict-free-email-domains-on-form-fill-out/

but when I add the html snippet it's not working. I also tried adding to template level, but not working as well. I am using form 2.0.

I would like to only accept business email addresses on a landing page. So I would not want to edit the template. Any idea how to prevent certain email addresses in the email form?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Prevent Personal / ISP/ Free Emails (gmail,comcast,aol,hotmail) in email field

Hi Dan,

Are your sure you have inserted it correctly ? When inserting that code on a template, you need to do it this way :

Using the Forms2 JS API from Landing Pages.

While all of the below examples use embedded forms, the same APIs are available on Marketo Landing Pages as well.

Usually, you'll want to add a script that gets some reference to the form object. To do this, first add your form to the landing page, then add a new HTML block to your landing page. Then you can add a script block to the page:

<script>

MktoForms2.whenReady(function (form) {

// Put your code that uses the form object here

});

</script>

-Greg

Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Adding on to Greg's point, Edward Unthank at Etumos has a product which allows you to get only valid email IDs. You can try that.    

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for suggestions

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

FWIW -- and I say this even though I contributed my enhanced version of the corporate email detection JS! -- in our industry (B2B technology) 20% of legit leads choose to sign up with Gmail addresses to protect their initial privacy. YMMV, but sometimes people mix up "free email domains" with "disposable email domains," the latter being specifically used to get demos/collateral without having any interest.

[On a related note, I have (to my dismay) responded to actual interested humans who signed up with a "corporate" info@example.com address and it's never worked out. Not because they weren't real people, but because the office shared an email address and that was just a sign of.,.. well, you can imagine. Yet I haven't yet ignored info@ addresses, because you never really know....]

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

"20% of legit leads choose to sign up with Gmail addresses to protect their initial privacy"

Is that the reason, or do they just go with their Autofill, which is most likely tied to personal?

Robb Barrett
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

No, there's no autofill on the page.