SOLVED

Re: Preference Center - Frequency Based Rules

Go to solution
TanyaB
Level 1

Preference Center - Frequency Based Rules

Is there a way to individualize a person's email frequency preferences? I am setting up an email preference center and trying to figure out how to set up an email campaign to include (or exclude) all of the subscribers that fit (or don't fit) the timing preference.

The selections I would like to implement are: "Snooze" for 30 days, 1 email per week, 1 email every 2 weeks, 1 email per month

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Phillip_Wild
Level 10

Hi @TanyaB ,

Yes, you can do this, but it can be a bit hacky. Here's what we've done in the past:

1. To snooze for thirty days, you can change the "Marketing Suspended" field to be TRUE, then switch it back 30 days later. If you wanted to make this dynamic, you could even let the user pick, write that value to a field on their profile, and have a smart campaign wait until it's that date to flick the marketing suspended switch back. But I wouldn't recommend that since I've found people just put years in the future, which is sort of silly. Give them options of 30 days / 60 days / whatever makes sense for your business.
2. To do weekly / twice a month / monthly sends, we created a custom field, which is by default blank. If someone selects "Monthly" in the form, we update that field to hold that value. Similar for "twice a month".  Then for the first week of a given month, we send to everyone. For the second week, we send to everyone except where that field contains Monthly or Twice a Month. For the third week, we send to everyone except Monthly. And for the last week we again send to everyone except where it contains Monthly or Twice a Month. It's a bit complex, but that will get the job done.

There may be a more elegant solution but we haven't found it yet 🙂

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I like to set a Date field Next Marketable Day using either

• a Change Data Value and simple date math ({{system.date}} + 7 days), which is very handy but is not calendar-aligned (perhaps you don't actually want calendar-aligned when you think about it)
  • a webhook that sets the next calendar-aligned day, i.e. first Monday within 2 weeks

Then a daily batch unsets Marketing Suspended for all the people that were suspended by this process and are to be "set free" today.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Phillip_Wild
Level 10

Hi @TanyaB ,

Yes, you can do this, but it can be a bit hacky. Here's what we've done in the past:

1. To snooze for thirty days, you can change the "Marketing Suspended" field to be TRUE, then switch it back 30 days later. If you wanted to make this dynamic, you could even let the user pick, write that value to a field on their profile, and have a smart campaign wait until it's that date to flick the marketing suspended switch back. But I wouldn't recommend that since I've found people just put years in the future, which is sort of silly. Give them options of 30 days / 60 days / whatever makes sense for your business.
2. To do weekly / twice a month / monthly sends, we created a custom field, which is by default blank. If someone selects "Monthly" in the form, we update that field to hold that value. Similar for "twice a month".  Then for the first week of a given month, we send to everyone. For the second week, we send to everyone except where that field contains Monthly or Twice a Month. For the third week, we send to everyone except Monthly. And for the last week we again send to everyone except where it contains Monthly or Twice a Month. It's a bit complex, but that will get the job done.

There may be a more elegant solution but we haven't found it yet 🙂

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I like to set a Date field Next Marketable Day using either

• a Change Data Value and simple date math ({{system.date}} + 7 days), which is very handy but is not calendar-aligned (perhaps you don't actually want calendar-aligned when you think about it)
  • a webhook that sets the next calendar-aligned day, i.e. first Monday within 2 weeks

Then a daily batch unsets Marketing Suspended for all the people that were suspended by this process and are to be "set free" today.